How does one look up a kanji you don’t know?

I actually prefer the Pleco program for writing but it’s actually a chinese dictionary. I found that the stroke order matters too much for my tastes in Midori especially when I’m not familiar with the character. (stroke order also differs between japanese in chinese slightly) However I can be a bit random with the order and Pleco will be able to recognize it.

I use the Japanese handwriting keyboard available for the Google keyboard for android (it might be available for iOS too, I wouldn’t know). It’s extremely good at recognizing characters in my experience, even when you draw them sloppily.

Since it’s integrated into the Google keyboard, you can easily switch between handwriting input and other inputs (such as flick, or romanji, or regular English). Very helpful especially when you know some of the kanji in the word but not others.

I use that to input them the characters into jisho and I’m good to go. Jisho also has a handwriting input feature, but it doesn’t work nearly as well as the Google keyboard from what I’ve tried.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.