How do I start with Kanji

I know these be stupid questions but here they go.I unlocked Kanji lessons today and I’m wondering what do I have to learn from the lesson.
For example: Do I learn every reading offered? Which reading do I put when tested? Do I learn examples or wait for them to appear by themselves? And is there only one way of pronunciation on pages like this

3 Likes

Have a read through Getting Started here:

It is definitely worth your time to go through it before you get to much further along. It covers most of the questions/problems new users will have.

2 Likes

Thanks I just skimmed through it last time, ill check it out. But do you mind explaining me what’s up with only 1 pronunciation being offered. I might be missing something tho

1 Like

You’ll start with one for the kanji, then learn others in vocabulary lessons which use that kanji. I think it makes it a bit easier than trying to memorize multiple readings all at once. Just sort of grow into them.

1 Like

If you are asking why there is only one recording though there are two readings, this is because they only have one recording for each item. The recorded reading is the “main” reading.

2 Likes

Maybe they’re asking why not both on’ and kun’yomi are being taught?

1 Like

Spot on! Thanks

2 Likes

Any other readings will end up being reinforced through vocabulary, so that won’t be an issue.

Just do your lessons and reviews. It’ll eventually make sense. Also, to reinforce what you’re learning, it’s recommended to supplement Wanikani with something else like a textbook, so you can come across the Kanji you’re learning in an appropriate context.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.