How do i rereview

hello there!
i’m level three into the wanikani learning system and i’d like to rereview past kanji just in case. i don’t want to put information in my mind so that it’ll go through the other side. is there anyway for me to rereview? rather, how do you rereview yourself? it’s fine if the strategy is not wanikani limited, good in fact, but please keep it free.
thank you~!

2 Likes

On the top bar there are buttons for Radicals, Kanji and Vocabulary. You may access the data of any item you want through these buttons. This is not the same as a (re)review but it is still a way of studying you may want to use.

I concur with athomasm. SRS works best when you don’t study the material between the scheduled reviews. If you cheat you improve your short term memory at the expense of diminishing long term memory. On the long run this is a bad trade-off that defeats the purpose of Wanikani.

There is no such thing as cheating the system. This is not a test and there are no grades, you either learn the kanji or you don’t. The SRS is not magic, it’s a tool. The only thing it’s supposed to do is reduce the number of times you have to see something to learn it so you don’t have to spend nine years chained to a school desk copying kanji like Japanese people do. But Japanese people see these tens of thousands of kanji every day and that casual reinforcement works.

Somewhere there’s a web app that will export your reviews to Anki so you could do more reviews that way. I would suggest casual reinforcement, through graded readers, magazines, or just looking over the kanji list on https://www.wkstats.com:10001/items/wanikani to see how you’re doing. After you enter your API key you can click on the kanji you don’t know and look back over your mnemonics. Otherwise you might burn out on reviewing flashcards. It also gives your brain a break from flashcards, because it can figure out pretty quick that they don’t matter if you don’t mix it up.

3 Likes

i see now. then as a follow up question, does the system ask questions for levels back? like i’m at level three, would it ask me questions from level one and two given its kanji? (since rereviewing radicals themselves from literally day one would be much more time consuming)

Have you seen this?

An item can stay in one or the other stage for months before being burned. You don’t stop seeing items on a level just because you upgraded to another level.

2 Likes

To add to what @prouleau said above, when you get an answer correct, it takes longer to show up again in your reviews. If you make a mistake, it shows up sooner next time. If you get an answer correct enough times (over the course of months) it will eventually become ‘burned’ meaning it will no longer show up as the system will consider you have mastered it.

2 Likes

at level three you have not “burned” any of your items and therefore you will be asked them again, for sure, guaranteed. every hour on the hour you have a chance of reviews unlocking themselves and some of them will be level one and two materials, and some of them will be more recent items. i am on level 7 and still getting asked stuff from level 1.

just keep on trucking. you will figure it out as you go.

1 Like

Completely agree with @Q-P above. I frequently have seen people in these forums comment about “cheating the SRS system” and I really think it’s a misconception. Anything that helps the learning process, including in-between reviews can only help in the long run.

My learning “system” is that I find it very useful to write down each kanji or vocab lesson, mainly because I learn better when I take the few seconds to write it down. But I work an 8 to 10 hour day, so I can only sit down for WK twice a day. So I carry my little notebook around wherever I go. When I have a few minutes here or there (usually over lunch), I’ll review that mornings lessons, or maybe I’ll pick a random page from weeks or months ago to review. I can’t imagine what my progress would be like if I went 12 hours between reviewing new items.

Clearly, the best way to review anything we learn from WK is to encounter it “in the wild” in our readings, but it can be difficult for new learners to find the right reading material that isn’t way too simple or way over our heads (usually the latter). But stumbling through reading, listening, and speaking is part of the process.

1 Like

Repetition is repetition, it’s right there in the SRS name. Whether I repeat on WK, my notebook, in the shower, or in my sleep, it’s still repetition. The more the better. Redundancy is the whole point.

1 Like

I understand your point, but in answer to your question, I would say that it helps me learn better.

Are you really? How can you tell if it’s because you’ve really learned or due to the early reviewing? It seems pointless to use an SRS if your skirting its main point. :man_shrugging:

Oh well, I’m bowing out now.

2 Likes

i see, i understand a bit more of the method.
thank you for the insights. :relaxed:

But isn’t looking at the srs item before your next review going against the whole point of it? Why even srs if you’re not going to srs lol?
Sure I understand that some people require shorter intervals than others, especially as you get older and your memory retention isn’t as what it once used to be, but for the majority of people I think the 4/8/24h intervals have been working fine. The only time I consider appropriate to rereview is if you encounter it in the wild.

1 Like

You can (not) review.

1 Like

I know you said you’re bowing out on this point (because you’ve already made your point, fair enough) – but I just wanted to mention that the WK SRS intervals are not customizable, so some people need alternative methods of reviewing at shorter intervals.
It’s not cheating, but extra exposure. This can also happen while reading or even textbook studying, or just by going outside or turning on the TV for those who live in Japan.

We don’t do it “to always get a correct answer”, but to commit it to memory.
I know that 4 hours for the first interval is too long for me, but if I review at 2 hours then I usually avoid a lot of future leeches. I still fail reviews like everyone, and they go back through the system – but I need the extra intervals to get them anywhere in the first place.
(And I’m not even that old, early 30s and no early Alzheimer’s or anything…just a constant mental load because real life responsibilities :woman_shrugging:)

Our brains are all different, but the system is one-size-fits-all.

3 Likes

Rest assured that you’ll thoroughly know a Kanji when it is removed from circulation. Until then, the system will show you the review when it thinks you need to see it (based on your prior success of mistakes). You’ll soon see what we mean and realise it’s probably the best way to memorize Kanji.

And, anyway, if you do extra reviews during apprentice stages, you probably won’t keep it up for those items through guru, master and enlightened stages, so if at any those points you see an item, whether you’ve internalized it or not, SRS will catch you out.

1 Like

Yep things that need to fail will fail…

1 Like