How do I finish Wanikani in 2 years or so?

Do you by any chance remember how youve pulled out this data? I dont think ive ever seen anyone provide more detailed breakdown than just “it took me x hours in total”

I’m only lvl 7 now but so far all lessons were done in 7 or 8 days. So far that’s perfectly doable, I also do both KameSame and KaniWani (only for guru and higher level words) to do them from english to japanse. I think that helps a lot in remembering.

So with this tempo I should be done within 1.5 years, but I’m not sure if things will get more difficult later on, taking more time.

I’m not in rush but I simply really enjoy Wanikani and learning new vocab.

1 Like

Well this really sucks. Why can’t they just give option to get radical and kanji lessons first? Now users are forced to risk their privacy and use stuff like Tamper monkey, that collects information. Some people consider it was safe before but not anymore. Only choice Wanikani gives, is to do lessons in shuffled order to get radicals of kanji earlier. Of course I can do the 120+ lessons at one go, but well that’s just too much for most people I think. I think this is just bad customer service.

1 Like

so regardless of the amount of apprentice itens you do 12 lessons every single day?

… + Math.random() * content_addition_time_coefficient

I exclusively used the Tsurukame App so that’s just my phone’s graph of how long I used the app each day.

That plus WKStats really helped me keep things in context. I’d feel like I had a rough week with long sessions only to find that I’d actually spent less time than average and had higher accuracy.

Unfortunately, I didn’t save the information unless I needed a screenshot for a post.

1 Like

Ahh i see, thanks for the reply! I have some general idea (i do see total time on the heatmap script and i can check specific days too, looks to be around 50 min a day), but i hoped i could break that down into days of week or some other cool info, oh well

1 Like

When I started using WaniKani this past summer I was trying to get through one level a week, but when I started my second year of grad school I fell so far behind because I wasn’t making time to study. Now, I typically set aside an hour each day to do 10 lessons among studying grammar from other sources. I am currently at level 15, and I am honestly pretty proud of getting this far. Like others have said, try to shoot for 10-15 lessons a day so as to set a good pace but also not overload yourself. You got this!

3 Likes

just 20 minutes the hack? Where u fluent besides kanji? At my best performence i need atleast 40 minutes.

2 Likes

Basically yes. I do 15 new lessons per day. I will occasionally (maybe once per week) do 10 or 20 instead if the material is especially easy or hard. I try to keep my number in Apprentice under 100, but I don’t worry about it too much. Mostly I just want to keep up a steady and predictable pace.

My biggest piece of advice if you actually want to finish in a reasonable amount of time is 1. yes, do about 15 lessons a day…but 2. most important…keep a strict habit. No matter what. Feeling sad, too bad do your reviews today, goldfish died, too bad do your reviews today. Price of butter got you down, you got the idea…It’s too tempting to use daily life circumstances to break your habit…but the habit is what will carry you through…every day at least once a day…preferably twice…doesn’t take much time if you’re doing it consistently every single day…

2 Likes

What constitutes as a lesson? like a single kanji? What if somebody just does all the lessons available at any given time, and goes that way? how fast can you finish the whole wk

A lesson is a radical, kanji or vocabulary that you’re learning for the first time.

You can barely go any faster than 20 a day. If you do much more than that, there will be many days in which there are no lessons left to do because you haven’t reached the next level. In the long term that’s actually less efficient because reviews come in unmanageable large clumps spaced apart with days where there’s nothing to do. If you space out the lessons you have less to do in each review session while still going just as fast because there aren’t days with nothing to do.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.