Here, Have a List of Aozora Books by WK Level

Hello! My code is indeed up on Github (GitHub - ekawaler/AozoraWK) if you’d like to play with it - it was pretty straightforward to put together!

I think if you do some editing in the get_level() function (replace bk_text = aozoracli.client.get_content(id=book_id).text with bk_text=[your sentence here], and change up what the function returns so it prints the max value from kanji_levels instead of returning a percentile), that should give you what you want. You’ll also want to edit the main function so that it just calls get_kanji() and then get_level() once, rather than going through the whole Aozora list.

Take a look and let me know if you have any questions!

1 Like

I think 云 and for sure 勿 are on WaniKani. 惡 is the old form of 悪, actually used in the manga Aku no Hana (written as 惡の華) for stylistic purposes. Jisho.com says that 華 is still in use in words like 華やか (showy, brilliant, flamboyant?).

Super big big thanks for putting this together! I was actually planning on picking up some books from Aozora Bunko to start reading and learning new vocab so this helps a TON!

I’ll have a look at your GitHub repo later to see whether I can help out a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m so glad you’ve found it useful! 云 and 勿 are on WK as radicals but not as standalone kanji - since WK radicals are not always given the same meanings as their kanji, I left those out. (You will definitely run into 華 later on in WK though!) Enjoy your Aozora reading :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, that explains it! Yes, I don’t mind 云 being “just” a radical, since it anyhow appears in several kanji.

Glad to hear I’ll see 華! :smiley: Thank you!

1 Like