Getting off the first level

Hi

Why is it taking me about nearly a year to get off level 1. It’s insane. You make 1 mistake and it then forces you to wait a month or more to review it. That’s not spaced repetition, that’s bizarre. I paid for an account, thinking it was a bug in the system - not helped.

Can any one explain how it works? I’m confused.

Thanks

Gary

7 Likes

Literally or are you exaggerating?

If you got an item wrong that you just learned for this level you’d have to wait at most one day (and possibly less) to review it again.

Is it possible that you have outstanding lessons that you haven’t done yet? Check the top of the dashboard to see.

3 Likes

Exaggerating

Correction:

6 Likes

Weird. Only took me 3 days. :man_shrugging:

If you click my name, it says I joined in August 2019 but I joined WaniKani in February 2018. I don’t know why it’s like that.
His userpage says “Serving the Crabigator since November 7, 2019” which is only a few months, though.

1 Like

The reason they haven’t advanced is they’ve done none of their kanji lessons. If you look at their profile they’ve literally only been doing radical reviews for months on end.

12 Likes

Odd. Assumed both were pulled from same source.

It’s because it’s talking about your “join date” for the forums. You can be using the main site and not actually be joined on the forums. That’s the point of discrepancy on the date.

4 Likes

Granted I joined back in the old forum days, so my ‘sign up’ was different. Thought when you joined WK you just automatically got forum too, wether or not you actually used it. My bad.

You should have new lessons in your queue. Can you take a pic of the dashboard? If you don’t have new lessons, then there’s an issue you’d need to email them directly about.

9 Likes

You do automatically get forum access, but Discourse only counts it when you actually start using it. When you activate your access, so to speak.

2 Likes

I got to say, though, that OP has been dedicated to his radical reviews in lieu of leveling. Has 24 of 26 at Enlightened. :sweat_smile:

14 Likes

Makes sense. Guess I was a bit hard on OP. Though, looking at profile on WK proper, not too hard.

On a more serious note. Have you looked at:

3 Likes

To be fair, he has been stuck on level one since last year. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

It’s kind of impressive going this long without quitting. I wouldn’t go for months only doing 26 items. Also a little impressive they didn’t notice they have more lessons to do after so long.

6 Likes

Not if they’re Enlightened. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

I’m still wondering why so many people struggle with the site so much but never think to look at the bottom of the main page for the FAQ link. I always search for a “about” or “faq”, or “info” on any new site if I happen to run into trouble, I always thought that was common sense. I definitely wouldn’t pay for a subscription to a site I didn’t even understand… I really don’t get it… :neutral_face:

17 Likes

To be fair to the OP, OP might find it obvious how to start the reviews and never thought there was something different (the “lessons”) out there to look for. After this slow start, once OP starts lessons along with his reviews, he might just fly though! It can’t hurt to have that huge “enlightened” command of the basics.

At least they thought to go into the menu and find the community link

17 Likes