Finished level 3, what to do until I get membership?

You could also use some of the free Memrise courses as well. I don’t like the way their stuff is set up as much as WaniKani (multiple choice can make it way easier to get to an answer which tricks you into thinking you’re better at recall than you are), but you could use some of them in the meantime. For example, there is this Kana only words course:

I believe that one is free and doesn’t require a pro membership.

2 Likes

Anki cards are great auxiliary learning tools. You can definitely try out their vocabulary cards.

If you want to practice reading, you can try out NHK News Web EASY. The NHK writes out some Japanese news articles in easier Japanese complete with Furigana. There’s also a subreddit with a community that takes a stab translating the article; all part of practice.

1 Like

I recommed you use kamesame. It is the opposite of Wanikani: you have to write down the kanji to the English words. You can use a keyboard app for this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just get the subscription. In a couple of months you’ll wish you had just done it already.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! Definitely will be adding this to my bookmarks.

0 Likes

Ooo, I take a stab at NHK every so often, but I didn’t know about the subreddit! Thanks for letting me know : )

0 Likes

I will be! Just don’t have the money at the moment, so I’ve been asking family to pitch in for a birthday present (which is next month). I’ve established a bit of a routine for when I study, so I wanted to find other things to fill the time I’d normally spend doing Wanikani, since I don’t want to fall off the routine : )

4 Likes

Just checked out the topic on it. Looks pretty interesting. I’ll definitely give it a shot. Thanks!

0 Likes

Rumor has it the Genki textbooks are floating around online, which are good for beginners. They’re also available for purchase through amazon if that’s possible for you. Another person already suggested Tae kim and his stuff is also a good grammar resource.

Honestly though I know most people are saying grammar but I’d focus more on building your vocabulary. I think vocabulary is my weakest point and it ends up making my grammar studies more difficult than they have to be. Pick up an anki deck with lots of words, or make your own by finding new words through music or anime or whatever media you like. ^^

3 Likes

I would agree with this, too. Knowing more words definitely helps with stuff like Tae Kim since you don’t have to keep flipping back and forth between his sentences/explanations and the vocab section as often. That can be a really annoying context switch if you’re having to do it a lot.

3 Likes

I have both Genki 1 and 2 sitting on my desk (got them from a friend a while back), but I hadn’t thought of the finer points of grammar versus vocab before. Thanks!

1 Like

Memrise and Duolingo kept me busy before I had membership.
They’re both free.
Memrise also has usermade courses.

1 Like

Everyone’s had great suggestions, but if you haven’t seen the Ultimate Resources Thread you might find something you like!

Personally I use Anki and Forvo all the time, and I listen to ひいきびいき.

Good luck!

2 Likes

I’ve finished all of Duolingo’s Japanese courses, but I haven’t tried Memrise. Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check them out!!

0 Likes

That’s why everyone should get this script: https://github.com/cooljingle/memrise-all-typing

It removes all multiple choices and forces you to type out EVERY answer. I’ve been using it for about half a year now and it compliments WK perfectly.

2 Likes

May I introduce you to the greatest grammar resource of all time?

https://bunpro.jp

Check it out after you’ve read genki 1

3 Likes

Didn’t know that existed. Thanks!! :+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

I have used it, but it’s been awhile. Thanks for the rec!

0 Likes

Too cool! Thanks for letting me know! That script is definitely something that everyone (especially WK users) needs! : )

1 Like