Finally reached the kanji for "ninja"

If you were to ask me which kanji were on my goal-list, I am certain that ninja - 忍者 - would easily have been on the list. I was raised on the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoons of the early-90s, and it definitely brings me back to my childhood to learn the kanji associated with Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, and Raphael.

18 Likes

Fun fact, the ninja part of the “teenage mutant ninja turtles” is a reference to a relatively unknown type of agent / mercenary in feudal Japan!

Historic depiction :

(But all joking aside, congrats on reaching a personal goal, always a nice feeling, isn’t it :smile_cat: )

5 Likes

Go Ninja Go Ninja Go!
giphy1

3 Likes

They’re heroes in a half-shell, and they’re green!

7 Likes

wow that’s a blast from the past. It also reminded me that I think there was a Moral Panic (no doubt led by the mad Mary Whitehouse) and we had to suffer them being called (and sung) Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles. I would have thought the concept of them mutating was more frightening and offensive than them being ninjas. But what can you do.
also that theme is now my new earworm

2 Likes

It’s a fun treat to find these vocab in the upper levels, imo! :grin: It brought a big smile on my face when I found it as well! :ninja:

4 Likes

You looked up the word “ninja” on Wanikani, and you found it?!!

Poorly played WK, poorly played.

🥷

6 Likes

To their credit, ninja was revealed to me when I was someone who had endured quite a lot…

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.