Finally getting the reading differences right

I just wanted to shout to the world, that finally, after many red “you are wrong!” flashes, I got the readings right! Yaaay!

What do I mean? you might ask.

女の子 is “girl”
女子 is “girl”

But they are spoken completely different.

女の子 consists of two vocabulary items with a connector, so the sounds for the vocabulary items are used and connected with “no”.

女子 consists of two kanji, making up one vocabulary item, so the sounds of the kanji themselved are used.

Understanding the hierarchy of composition of terms and figuring out, that the sounds depend on the parts of the phrase… great. :smiley:
Thanks for coming to my ted talk xD

9 Likes

Generally speaking, if you see any hiragana at all, you will need the kunyomi reading with a few exceptions (mostly stuff + suru)

6 Likes

I did not really get what the kun’yomi reading and the on’yomi reading are. I listened to the podcast and read the article on tufugu. What I remember: One is the chinese pronounciation and the other is the pronounciation that was in spoken japanese and got mapped on the kanji to write those words.

But I always forget what is what… and mostly wanikani teaches one reading and the other is tought when learning vocabulary items. :smiley:

3 Likes

Well, I think you current understanding far exceeds mine when I was at level 3…

Eventually you’ll be able to distinguish the kun’yomi and on’yomi readings (mostly) and apply that to vocabulary reading. It’s nice to be able to guess the reading of a brand new word based on the kanji.

Of course there are still plenty of curveballs though!

3 Likes

Thank you, that means a lot. :slight_smile:

I think I am more of a “I have to know structure and the system behind things I want to learn”-Person than a “I can learn many things just as the things they are”, so I am always looking to detect the pattern, extrapolate shortcuts or something like that. That’s why i was so happy. :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.