English meaning to hiragana review

Hi there, obligatory first post (^~^) /

So I have a question about reviewing words, and I’m assuming if what I’m looking for exists, it’d be an api/third party tool.

What I’m looking for is a way to review where you are given a word/phrase in English and are asked to translate it into hiragana. Often my family and friends will asks “so how do you say _____ in Japanese?”. I know I can see a word in Kanji and give the reading or meaning from that, but it is much more difficult for me to go in reverse. So us there something I could use for this?

2 Likes

There’s KaniWani, the EN → JP version of WaniKani (since WK only reinforces JP → EN), and there’s also a newer EN → JP web-based app that was developed recently, KameSame, so you can look into those and see which you’d prefer ^^

You just need your WK public API key to sync your progress, which can be found here

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you so much! Aldo can’t believe you responded to my question, you’re famous on here!

3 Likes

I’m not famous I just live here :durtle_the_explorer:

4 Likes

Your pretty famous though lol :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

com-resize%20(1)

5 Likes

Yeah, Kaniwani great platform. You will run into some situations where it asks you a word, you put in a reading that equals that word - but its wrong because they looking for a different reading. I believe the kaniwani team are working on this. (and you can use I to ignore and try again within the review session which i like)

There is also KameSame - but I haven’t used this - this is suppose to accept the different readings for words, but I like the web-platform of Kaniwani and hopefully this feature be active soon.

EDIT lets forgot that last bit - targeted wrong person :stuck_out_tongue:

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Who’s Aldo?

It’s a American way to pronounce “although”. I’m guessing that’s the case here.

1 Like

Isn’t she the American version of Olly, Wally’s wife?

1 Like

Aldo anything for love, but I won’t do that

2 Likes

*also, lmao

2 Likes