Does anyone have tips? I am a very young learner

Lots of great general advice here already and you’ll find plenty more if you join us in procrastinating our days away in the forums ;b

My advice would be that you should be careful how you handle advice :’)
Don’t dismiss it out of hand, consider it, maybe give it a try, but also don’t be afraid to toss it away if it doesn’t work for you.

These forums, because they are associated with WaniKani, have a bias towards certain learning methods. Because WaniKani teaches vocabulary using English buzzwords, you likely won’t find many people preaching about studying words with monolingual (Japanese) definitions in here. Join the refold discord server and things will look very different. Birds of a feather especially flock together in language learning, so lots of people agreeing doesn’t always mean it’s universally good advice :b
Since you seem to have a strong interest in languages, Japanese likely won’t be the last language you’ll learn. Try things out, learn what works for you, it’ll save you a bunch of effort down the road.

2 Likes

Congratulations on starting your journey!

WaniKani will not be your only resource, since you say you enjoy manga, once you get to a good level, (I started at level 20) read some manga! Whatever you like, don’t be afraid to try something hard, it has to be a manga you really want to complete though, that’ll be your motivation because it can be tedious to have to search things up on every page.

Learn grammar when you can too! (Around level 10?) That will help you a ton, try YouTube videos. This is coming from someone who still hasn’t touched grammar, by the way. All natural right here, and suffering for it while I translate manga.

Watching anime is actually not bad at all, I’ve learned quite a bit of words, nuances and even some grammar from it. Little bit of a controversial opinion but even English subs are OK! Just have to make sure you’re not taking the translation as it’s literal meaning, but you can use it as a basis to lead you in the right direction.

And finally, go at your own place, but don’t slack off, and don’t give up! You’re young and you can most certainly use it to your advantage!

1 Like

I love what you said a lot. I know not everything works for everyone and ultimately advice is to be tried out, if it doesn’t work out, just move to another one. Thanks a lot!

Hello. Thanks a lot for the advice given.I will focus a bit on grammar and take into consideration everything you said. :>

1 Like

Welcome, @iMarshy ! :high_touch:

I have two tips for you, regarding resources and perspective.

Trying out a resource can be seen as a multi-step process:

1. Research - check this list of resources gathered by the WaniKani community and this resource database by Tofugu, search dedicated threads, see if the resource offers a tutorial or a trial period so you can learn how it works and how to use it.
  2. See if it fits - consider where you are and where you’d like to go in your Japanese learning journey, and then decide if the resource seems to be a good fit for your current circumstances.
  3. Give it a try.
  4. Troubleshoot - if doubts or issues arise, try researching more and asking for help, then course correct.
  5. Evaluate - as you find out what works for you, you might decide to keep on using a resource or to set it aside and go for another.
  6. Reevaluate - as you learn and progress in your Japanese learning journey, your needs will change, and you might benefit from adding new resources as well as revisiting old resources and giving them another chance, now under different circumstances.

Perspective can also greatly affect your Japanese learning journey. You will come across many different perspectives regarding learning in general, learning languages and learning Japanese in particular; and in time you’ll develop your own perspective. Here’s a glimpse of mine:

Wishing you lots of great adventures in your Japanese learning journey! :durtle_noice:

Ah, I wish I was your age when I first started learning Japanese! Having passion and interest is the most important thing when starting the journey so you’re doing great there. :slightly_smiling_face:

My advice would be to try to figure out what it is that draws you to the language in general. Do you like talking with people in their native tongue? Do you hope to live abroad one day? Do you enjoy that country’s pop culture/food/history? Understanding the things that excite you about the language will make it much easier (and fun) to progress in the journey.

Since you are still in the early stages, learn based on interest and fun vs something more rigorous, and know that small steps (like WaniKani reviews + 5 lessons a day) are all you need to get the ball rolling.

• If you like speaking, there’s Italki and HelloTalk. (Maybe some people or programs in your community too that you could get involved in?)
  • If you’re a reader, you can try graded readers.
  • If watching is more your thing, there are tons of anime shows / dubbing of popular movies you can try.
  • The Genki Textbooks are good if you like to book study.

Getting your ear and eyes used to Japanese is the first step and then things just continue from there. Here’s a list of resources I used when studying abroad in Japan, hopefully you can find something helpful!

Sorry for late reply. What you said is one of the smartest things I’ve ever heard. Thanks for all the tips and I hope you too, an enjoyable and happy trip through Kanji :DDDDD

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.