Different Mnemonic Identifiers

Was wondering if anyone else finds different mnemonics for kana to the ones suggested in WK? An example for me is 五 (looks like Fi for five). There are a few others so far too, but wondering if others do the same? I know this could cause problems further down the road when trying to remember vocab.

i’d say this is nigh-universal. some of the mnemonics are hits, some are misses, which is which can vary between people. whatever helps you remember! there’s even a little space on each item to write your own note.

2 Likes

Yeah have been using it!

1 Like

I would say I deviated little from the radicals, but the kanji and vocal I largely have done by myself. I do appreciate the mnemonics given, as they can be a good jumping off point in case I have doubts. But not really needed, especially at my level.

2 Likes

How did you find it with the later kanji and vocabs? Was it easy linking your kanji mnemonics to vocab lessons?

Kanji? Yeah same old same old there. I basically used the given radicals names, maybe a few extra radicals and kanji that are part of other kanji here and there, but mostly the given name radicals and made the menomics. Often I would at least read the given prompt, which would give me a ideas as to arrange the radicals.

Vocal is tricky. I basically had to make mnemonics with the readings and rely on the reading mostly for support. Stuff like 比例 I had to use the reading (ひれい) by saying the heat (ひ) is really hitting Rei (れい) (a character from a visual novel I played) as he sits in class doing the golden ratio. Or such like jazz.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.