Didn't you forget something?

So we learn the 乙 radical at 29, as nose. The last update was supposed to turn radicals that are also kanji into the equivalent of said character, so we don’t have to double-learn, and we usually get those new kanji soon-ish, to mutually reinforce them.
Now, not only is 乙 a kanji in itself, it’s also on wk, as “latter”, and at lvl 57.

and then, the vocab delivered with it doesn’t include the easy to learn and very common 乙女

So we have a radical whose kanji comes way, way later, is easy, has easy vocab and missed the chance to add a useful and easy to pick up word.

Maybe look into that one once more.

4 Likes

I’m impressed you noticed this, I usually don’t bother to click the “used in” stuff when I’m learning.

1 Like

To be fair, they do include 早乙女, so, by extension, you can at least learn to read 乙女
Then you can get the meaning from seeing it in the wild :slight_smile:

On thing that hurts my 乙女心 much more is the fact that 一 is still “ground”. I made a secondary account to try if it would accept “one” transparently, but it didn’t. :frowning:

1 Like

早乙女 is a different thing altogether though. i’d have expected that radical plus kanji and vocab around level 10.
僕 is level 12 :slight_smile:

no idea why 一 is ground, you can make mnemonics with “one” easily. heck, make it “the one”, then you open up a world of possibilities, hehe.

1 Like

It does have the same reading as 少女, which WK teaches. I think it would make the reading even easier for this one kanji. Kudo for noticing.

1 Like

少女 is overwhelmingly more frequently read しょうじょ than おとめ, though, so I’m not sure it helps much. Plus, I’ll have to check, but I don’t think WK accept that second reading.

2 Likes

Really? I must have picked up that reading from somewhere else then. Thanks for reminding, I think I got it as enlightened, so I didn’t miss my chance to burn. :smile:

2 Likes

if it helps the memory, there’s a whole game genre that’s basically “harem VN, with guys instead of girls”, that’s called 乙女ゲーム

4 Likes

It does accept おとめ as a reading for 少女, but the vocalisation for it is しょうじょ, which was somewhat startling the first time I encountered it.

2 Likes

Oh! It does indeed!
I guess I never really checked, and since WK hasn’t been very inclusive in terms of alternative readings in other places, I just assumed that they would not be inclusive here either.

That’s overwhelmingly the most common reading. The other one always has furigana so that people would not get confused. I’m more surprised that you would be surprised by it :thinking:

2 Likes

well 乙女 does not need furigana. it’s the actual word.

1 Like

It was only surprising in that it’s the first time I’ve ever typed something in, and then had the sound playback be something other than what I’d typed :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.