Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8!

Well done!

Now should we make a new thread for B4, or just let this one run and start a new wiki?

2 Likes

Well shoot and here I spent all this time going back and cataloging the first 500 posts lol

1 Like

ろく, おつ, な, きょう, and やく. Maybe we can reorder those to create a phrase and then translate it?

3 Likes

I doubt it’ll be that easy.
It said there’s a lot of steps involved

Also I don’t think it would combine Kun and On readings would it? :thinking:

2 Likes
  • New thread
  • New wiki

0 voters

1 Like

Wait, can someone post the exact permutation of it? I can’t get it to work

2 Likes

Well, I guess latter is correct for the kanji alone? Idk, 乙 also means second in rank, it’s also the second sign of the Chinese calendar.

2 Likes

They should probably be rearranged from lowest level to highest level?

5 Likes

Mrs. Chou

3 Likes

Ah so it does have the ., thx thx!!

2 Likes

Someone create wiki pls I am no longer Regular :frowning:

1 Like

We can just use hide details for the B3 password wiki.

2 Likes

Something to do with WaniKani levels maybe?

2 Likes

By the way, I think Mrs. Chou was one of Koichi’s poll options. Let’s all beat ourselves up for not guessing it sooner

8 Likes

Yes, that’s what I meant, I guess that wasn’t clear.

2 Likes

Right ahead of ya mate

1 Like

Or highest to lowest? Since we should be descending?

6 Likes

Well, I think because it’s trying to point out the difference here it’s significant.

3 Likes

Spiritual ascendance? Hmmm, could it have to do with the pleasant, painful, death, Hell, paradise, reality thing maybe?

4 Likes

Ok, so, basically, in order for a computer to remember which character is which, it’s stored in memory as a binary number. This is called “text encoding”. A special Japanese-only encoding format is called Shift-JIS (short for Japanese Industrial Standards), which stores each character as a double byte (= sixteen bits = sixteen ones and zeroes). In order for humans to report the character number without having to recite sixteen ones and zeroes, for humans it’s displayed as a hexadecimal number - four bits make one hexadecimal digit.

So, lemme give an example: the character 誰. This is encoded as the binary number 1001 0010 0100 1110 - when the computer encounters this number in a text document, it goes “oh, I need to display 誰 on the screen” (and so forth for every character you see). Written in hexadecimal, that’s 924e - each group of four bits corresponds to one hexadecimal digit.

What @matthieuesnault did was he took the 92 from the description text ("I’ve got 91 problems, and you’re just another one), and stuck it on the front of each of the hexadecimal numbers in the box. This yielded a kanji character from the Shift-JIS tables.

(The reason it took us so long to get to this is because Shift-JIS is obsolete. Everyone uses Unicode these days.)

11 Likes