Descent of the Durtle into eGoooott - NOW AT B8!

Summarized every idea that jumped out at me when quickly skimming through the first 1K replies in the thread, as per Koichi’s comment that the “elements” to the correct answer are in the first 1.5K. If anyone wants to go and do the next 500 be my guest.

Things I left out - anything related to:

• Hexidecimal
  • Base conversion of any kind
  • Abstract mathematical/complex “hex-y” ideas.
  • More that I can’t remember.

The first 600 posts or so are almost exclusively hex related, so this leads me to believe the answer is something minor we’re all overlooking. There was no obvious “this is the hint that isn’t hex related” thing in those posts, so maybe it’s an idea we’ve already cast out, or maybe we deemed it insignificant. The only other thing that’s been really persistent throughout the first 1K is that the numbers are somehow related to kanji. Further to that, we’re all learning kanji, so it’s the first bet for a puzzle we’ll all be able to solve.

My brain right now:

SKHzS

17 Likes

giggles at Kumi’s drawing in this list

6 Likes

Can you shift it 16?

Every original value by 16? Why? (also, +16 or -16?)

I’m going to make an educated guess that the shifting has to do with the pairs rather than the other clue. :thinking: (I’m assuming you flipped 91 upside down to get 16?)

here’s an idea that i’ve begun testing. what if we need to take one of the various transformations we did on the nine items in the box, and then perform that same transformation on the pair “b3” – or possibly, “b2” – neither of which are among the nine pairs in the clue?

1 Like

Yes, plus multiple clues

Thank you all for you company, that’s it for me for today.
Good night, and good luck!

2 Likes

There are nine pairs of nine symbols. And it’s inside us all.
9 SRS levels

I’m not seeing any clues.

Yikes! 62 burn reviews.

…could kidnap a regular durtle and shift it together all over a ouija board. :thinking:

11 Likes

Rats.

Sorry, got distracted there for a minute. Is it solved yet? :wink:

1 Like

I got 78% DDD:

We don’t need to kidnap one…

1 Like

I’m back from my movie! @Whologist I was specifically looking for answers about footie pajamas, but if we can get some pics of Koichi in TMNT pajams then I’m all for it. Your sins are forgiven my child.

And suuuuuuddenly I’m hyped again!! Now we’re sure that everything after 1500, or maybe even 1000, is completely off! Hoorah! (assuming they actually read ALL the posts and didn’t miss one that was closer to being correct)

2 Likes

Picking through the WaniKani site for inspiration. Hey, did you know the change blog is discontinued? Also, it looks like Koichi is listening to Dark Side of The Moon in that pic. Good choice for reviews.

Also, @Koichi if it makes you feel any better I think you’ve been EXTREMELY helpful in narrowing stuff down! It’s just that I’m not smart or patient enough to actually make use of the clues you’ve given us.

2 Likes

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH WHAT IF THIS IS A CRYPTIC REFERENCE TO THE THIRD LINE ON B2, TALKING ABOUT “MEAN THINGS TO WORRY ABOUT”!?!

… or not, idk

1 Like

I’ve been working on this all day. Feel like I’m getting nowhere…

Thinking the key is with shifting the pairs somehow.

1 Like

Ooh, we haven’t reached 140013 posts yet! I might actually be starting to catch up!

If we want to learn 1 kanji for every 10013件の投稿 in this thread, we need to learn 1313 kanji.

Kanji 7:

Kun’yomi: くだん
On’yomi: けん

Meaning: case, affair, matter, item; counter for occurrences

Etymology: Ideogrammatic - A person together with an ox. This could be because man and ox form a unit (Wiktionary), or because a person is counting oxen (Kanji Portraits).

Wani件i: There’s a man next to an ox. The man is of Chinese descent, and his name is Ken.

The ox is Japanese. I don’t know its name, but it has achieved the ninth dan - 九段 (kudan) - in the bare-hoofed martial art known as karahidzume. Just one more and it will achieve the tenth dan, and be ready to teach martial arts at Oxford.
Sadly, he doesn’t get to make use of his kudan very often, since Ken can usually deal with things on his own.

Trivia: While tenth dan is the upper limit in most human martial arts, it is rumored that truly skilled bovines can acually attain eleventh dan. This is known as the Secret Cow Level of martial arts.

Vocabulary:

(けん)
counter for occurrences, cases, instances, submissions…

This is an interesting counter with many uses. According to Tofugu’s list of counter, it can be used to count:

proposals, suggestions, legislative bills, agenda items, projects, plans, crimes, incidents, scandals, complaints, objections, contracts, agreements, emails, financing, loans, troubles, bankruptcies, page views, internet access numbers, voice mail messages, etc."

What’s more relevant to us is that it can be used to count forum posts, likes, search results and more.

For example, if you use Instagram in Japanese for the hashtag #klingonshodo, it will tell you that there are 投稿1,921件, or 1,921 posts under that hashtag. That’s less than this forum thread (2,800件), but considering they’re all by one guy and in the rather niche genre of Klingon-Japanese calligraphy, it’s still very impressive.

If you select this post, you’ll find that it says いいね!21件. This means that the post has 21 likes, or いいね:s. Which, frankly, is too few.

Kanji 8

Kun’yomi: す、すべ
On’yomi: そう

Meaning: general; whole; all; full; total

Etymology: 総 is a shinjitai (Japanese-specific) variant of the Traditional Chinese character 總.

總 is a phonosemantic compound. 糸 (rope, silk) gives the meaning, while 悤 gives the pronunciation.

In Chinese, one meaning of this character is “collect” or “gather”; according to Kanji Portraits, the original meaning was of weaving several threads together into one, which in turn gave the meaning of “every” or “total”.

The kun’yomi reading doesn’t seem to get much use, having been replaced with 全 (and even then, it’s often written using hiragana).

IfYouWaniBeMyKani: You are a sad man with a big nose (公). However, your big nose isn’t the reason you’re sad; you’re sad because you have a big heart (心). You see a large spider web (糸), which you know will catch every single fly in your house. It makes you soooooooooooooo sad, thinking of all the flies who will lose their lives.

You’d like to save each and every one of them, but then the spider and its young would die of starvation.
You can’t please everybody, and that’s why you’re sad, you big-hearted, big-nosed sad man.

Vocabulary:

総当たり (そうあたり)
round-robin; brute force; trying every possible combination

Right now, some desperate people are considering launching a 総当たり攻撃 (そうあたりこうげき) - a brute force attack - to reach B3; they want to set up a script to hit (当たる) every (総) possible password.

However, doing so will take soooo long. Ideally, we’d have several computers dedicated to this task at the same time.
How many computers? Every Atari that we can get our hands on!

This sort of brain-dead solution method is perfect for early computers; it’s soooo Atari.

5 Likes

41 items changed preferred readings. (not 42)