Daisoujou's Study Log - šŸ¤·

Well ok now you have me questioning if I used my right pinky, and I didnā€™t use that thumb either, haha. Just wanted to convey the general message of ā€œI somewhat type wrong but itā€™s not like Iā€™m only using half my hands or somethingā€

2 Likes

Iā€™d say maybe for the Enter key, but it looks like thatā€™ll be your right thumb going forward.

3 Likes

Yeah ok, I definitely did that. Itā€™s hard without physically doing it to think about what my hands were actually doing. And thatā€™s if I can stick this outā€¦ I managed 36 wpm a second ago (allegedly exactly average) but it feels terrible still!

3 Likes

Liken it to reading your first native Japanese manga, light novel, visual novel. It starts out as a real drag, but you have to keep doing it to build up that muscle memory (pattern recognition) =D

4 Likes

You mean Iā€™m gonna plateau at like 40 wpm for months if not years? :wink:

Iā€™m trying anyway but itā€™s so grating with all these mistakes.

4 Likes

The big problem of course is that you probably wonā€™t reach ā€œcomfortableā€ within the return window. But if you use it enough, maybe you can at least see whether it seems to be helping any physically within that time.

And of course, if you keep getting replies here and replying to them, thatā€™s just helping you practice all the more.

4 Likes

Yep, thatā€™s a big part of the reason Iā€™m still going in replies to be honest. I really do think it seems nicer on my wrists even this soon, but Iā€™m going to really have to grind through it right now to see if I think I can fully adjust.

5 Likes

Well, it sure took you long enough to reply. (Just kidding! [And of course, my reply took even longer.])

At work, back when I was in the office, I was often in the unofficial role of an ā€œon-site tech supportā€, and that meant sometimes using a co-workerā€™s keyboard.

One co-worker has an ergonomic keyboard[1], and that was interesting to use. Not nearly as big a change as what youā€™re working with, though.

Of course, the worst was the organizationā€™s decision to start replacing keyboards with those flat Chiclet-style-key keyboards.[2]

1. sort of like this: image ā†©ļøŽ

2. image6144 ā†©ļøŽ

5 Likes

Turns out I also use my right pinky for the enter key. Hard to remember all keys and what I press them with. Lets just say there are some fingers that never press letter keys, only function keys, and Iā€™m sure if someone tried to teach me proper typing, theyā€™d have me typing letters with all fingers instead of two fingers of my right hand. And like 3 on my left.

Aaaaaaahā€¦ I feel the pain, well, not nearly the same, but even just trying to figure out which fingers Iā€™m using as I type lettersā€¦ Turns out even that is hard to notice because Iā€™m like typing right and Iā€™m also trying to notice which fingers are typing and usually when I used a lot of my fingers on my left hand, I type so fast I donā€™t even notice. Lol.

So yeah I think it is pointer, middle and ring finger on left hand, and pointer and middle on right hand. All other things only hit function keys or symbol keys ('-Ā“ĀØ., kinda keys).

I actually went looking at Swedish ergonomic keyboards for a second and found exactly one that had divided the keyboard and changed the angle of how the hands work the keys. (Like the pic @ChristopherFritz just posted.) All others seemed to just be about how big the keyboard was, and Iā€™m like, yeeeeeaaaah that is gonna make a huge differenceā€¦ not!?!?

If I want to find anything else, Iā€™d have to go looking into like b2b seller sites to see if there are other options than that ONE keyboard. >_>

5 Likes

Like the ones that are similar to Appleā€™s keyboard? Or are you thinking of something else?

I canā€™t stand the Magic keyboard, or whatever they call itā€¦ I like my keys to have a nice satisfying click and travel, and that hasā€¦nothing. When my work recently changed over to Mac (which I was already somewhat not keen about, but the decision was made above my head), and they brought those in, I immediately put it away and kept my keyboard after trying it out. It was just so unpleasant to type on.

4 Likes

For reference, seeing those other pictures, this is what Iā€™m trying to work with:

It curves even deeper than it looks.

5 Likes

I feel so alone in not minding those keyboards, haha. Iā€™m not sure I even noticed a difference to be honest. But then Iā€™ve been mostly laptop keyboards for like a decade plus, so used to kinda weird ones.

6 Likes
Something like this.

I have some co-workers who love them, so itā€™s good when theyā€™re an option.

5 Likes

oof yeah those are bad. Mechanical keys are another of those things I didnā€™t realize I needed til I tried it, and now I can never go back.

4 Likes

When you expect a certain amount of travel of the key when pressing down, and the key stops after moving one millimeter =(

Welcome everyone, to Daisoujouā€™s Keyboard Log =D

5 Likes

Thatā€™s the one. :joy:

Options for people are always good, but I just cringe anytime I have to use one.

That would definitely take a lot of adjustment, even as somebody who types the ā€œproperā€ way. The center keys would take a lot of retraining for my brain. I would probably be on the same boat as you, dropping from 115-120 WPM down to 30s. :sweat_smile:

Iā€™m also big on mechanical keys myself.

My keyboard at home

Yeahh, my laptop has that style of key, but it feels less bad on a laptop than on an actual keyboard for some reason. Just how my brain expects one or the other to work, I reckon. :joy:

4 Likes

Hey might as well; itā€™s my thread. We can do whatever we want here!

I have a bad habit of trying out luxury things to see what theyā€™re like then becoming unable to ever go back. Thatā€™s how I ended up finding 60hz monitors so choppy and unpleasant :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Looks nice! My old one, which I really liked and have used for years, was a Logitech G710. There seem to be no decent pictures online, but:

4 Likes

Same hat! :joy:

I hear really great things about Logitech products, especially keyboards! Iā€™ve pretty much just stuck with EVGA for most tech things since getting my PC built (though, I guess Iā€™ll have to find a new GPU maker whenever I upgrade in the far-flung future now they have parted ways with Nvidia).

That G710 does look great! I definitely prefer the location of the indicator lights for Caps Lock and such on your board over mine. Easier to look at a glance; the keys are so tall they tend to block out the lights on mine. (Short people problems and a result of the height I prefer my chair, I guess :joy:)

3 Likes

Wouldnā€™t keyboard stickers be another option, if not impeded by number of keys and Enter shape and stuff?

So far, I only tried to find mechanical keyboards with the correct Enter shape and still have \ key. Laptops usually have no problem. The number of keys is probably the most important choosing factor.

So far, Iā€™ve never felt a thing about key depth; as long as it isnā€™t as heavy as a typewriter.

3 Likes