Community Checklist! - Ideas For a New Newbie Checklist/Guide

I’ve been thinking about the newbie checklist. You know, the one that shows up for new users and tells them to say “hi” in the community chat (among other things). And I was thinking about how we (the WK community) could make it better!

I think that reformulating and revamping the checklist with community input could solve a lot of common annoyances for regular members and give the newbies an even better introduction to what a great resource our community is. Eventually, I’d like to propose this to the WK team as a substitute for the current dashboard checklist, if people think it’s a good idea. :slight_smile:

I’ve put some ideas for the checklist text/content down below, but since this is the community checklist, I’ve also made this post a wiki, so feel free to edit away! (If you don’t have the ability to edit wikis and you have an idea, feel free to post it below and we’ll add it for you.)

===============

Hello and welcome to WaniKani!

Lost? Confused? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! We’ve put together a list of some resources and tips to help you get your WaniKani journey off to a great start.

Please note: this checklist is optional, so please don’t panic if the boxes don’t check. The real purpose of this is to introduce you to all the great things our community has to offer. While we hope that you’ll complete every step, nothing on here is mandatory (except for maybe reading the FAQ. :wink:) Eventually, this box will disappear, even if you don’t complete any of it.

Now, onto the list!

I’m confused! This website makes no sense!

I’m bored! Wanikani is so slow!

We know: the first levels can seem a bit slow. Here are some great things to do while you wait for that first radical review.

• Update your profile and add a picture - let us know a little more about you!
  • Come say “hi” and introduce yourself in the Introductions thread!
  • Check out our social media pages! (Will have links, but my computer is being super slow right now)
  • Get a jump start on the other parts of your Japanese language journey! Kanji is only part of the picture, and our members have put together an Ultimate Additional Japanese Resources List to point you in the right direction.
5 Likes

Social media pages:

Psst, I recommend reading the podcast page.

1 Like

This is great, thanks!

As a newbie (this me checking off the “saying hello in the community chat” box) and I completely agree with this. I was (and still am a little bit, lol) intimidated by the site and the community forums – but that might just be because I’ve never really participated in any kind of internet community forum. The way you’ve worded everything above seems somehow more inviting? Like, yeah, if you’re new to this site chances are you’re going to be lost and confused about things for a while until you get a better handling on things. So yeah. As a fresh newbie here, I approve :slight_smile:

I’d also add something about third-party APIs and keyboard shortcuts - I didn’t learn about them until about 11 levels in, but once I did, it made everything so much better!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.