[Client App, Discontinued] WaniKani for Android

I’m simply getting an “App Not Installed” error (see attachment) when I try to install the APK. I’m on Pixel 3 running Android 10. Developer mode enabled.

Can you try this link?: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pNQpyPJCGdF-ood5oGKB4zNeTGdUwatw/view?usp=sharing

I think the first link only works if you install it using adb on the command line, due to the way I built it. I think that one should work for you.

Works great! Did a whole review and it worked flawlessly! Only thing I can tell is bugged so far is the date for the next review (picture in attachment).

1 Like

Sweet thanks for trying it! I’ll take a look into that, the whole time I’ve had reviews available :sweat_smile:

I had implemented push notifications in case I needed them for announcements one day. This could be a good time to make use of them. I’ll see if I can get it to work when I have the time. Where should I direct people with “you can follow progress on”? A new thread? GitHub?

1 Like

Oh that’d be sweet! I suppose it’s probably best to wait until I release it to the app store - then the notification can just be “download this app here”. I should be able to have it up within the next couple of days.

1 Like

Would you mind making a separate thread for this? It’s better if we had a thread to point users to rather than a post.

1 Like

Sure I’ll post a new thread later today. Sorry for the delay on this, been busy with some other life stuff; and I ran into a roadblock that’s going to delay a play store release.

Technical details for those interested: one of the dependencies (specifically the one that handles the grids for the item views) is deprecated and doesn’t support the target api level that the play store requires to upload apps. The library is using reflection :expressionless: to access a method that’s no longer available, and it’s not a quick update in the library source to fix it. I have a plan to update the app with a replacement library, but it’s going to take me a bit longer to get it working.

Of course I can still post the latest working apk in the new thread so those who are inclined can just install it directly before it’s available on the play store.

@xip
Once I post the thread I suppose a push notification to tell users to follow that thread would be nice since it’s going to take a little longer than I originally thought to get it officially on the play store.

1 Like

So this took me way longer than expected, but I got the app published to the Play store under a new name: Kakumei for WaniKani.

Here’s the new thread I created for it: [Android] Kakumei for WaniKani

@xip
It’d be cool if you could try that push notification to the new play store app when you get a chance.

3 Likes

You might want to request to the mods to close this original thread (just flag your own post with a message or tag @Mods)

Better, tag @ Mods (not actually tagging, just showing how)

1 Like

@mrothberg37 Great to hear. Sent notifications. Still didn’t receive anything on my own devices but we’ll see…

As for closing this thread, I’d suggest we keep it for now. With the above conversation about notifications and possibly something else, it would be better to talk here than clutter the new thread. Once the transition is complete, then we can close.

2 Likes

Hmm I don’t believe I received a notification either. Not sure what the best way to get the word out would be then. Maybe adding a link in the original play store app description in case people check it?

My test notifications were working so not sure why the actual ones aren’t, but whatever I guess. I have updated the store listing with a link to your app.