Better differentiate between "reading" and "meaning"

Ah, that makes sense. If you still have problems with auto-updates you can also use Firefox Portable, perhaps?

Thanks @plantron that is a good idea. I will look into it.

1 Like

No probs. I also hate browsing behind company firewalls. All the proxy settings
 :angrykoichi:

Yes, I never noticed it either. And now, though I know it’s there, I still don’t notice it. I’m forever putting in readings instead of meanings and the other way round. But I get the wrong answers anyway, so it makes no odds!

1 Like

I’m definitely in the “Wake up sheeple and notice the damn clues” camp. Paying attention to it early on will make you get used to it and after a few levels you don’t even look at it consciously any more. Usually I’d also say that a design has failed if users keep making mistakes because of it, but over the years and various similar threads I’ve only ever heard the dev team say it’s meant to be subtle. They want you to pay attention to what is asked. And OP’s argument:

is kinda BS. You’re taking a quiz buddy. Better know what questions you’re answering.

Here’s a suggestion: instead of all pointlessly typing our opinions onto a forum, someone might want to take action
 Make a thread, take a poll to know the most popular changes and make a user script out of it. That’s how I always solved my problems here.

1 Like

Yeah, you can make it as obvious as day and night and some people would still complain it’s not different enough. In fact, they did make it as obvious as day and night (black and white background).

I occasionally get this wrong too and submit romaji in the meaning tests and find myself wanting an easier distinction but really, this comes down to not noticing when you’re in the groove.

You type what you think it wants and mash that enter button milliseconds before noticing, and honestly I think it would still happen even if there were a big “type in English” bouncing around the screen.

It’d be nice to have the change but it would only catch some errors.

1 Like

I, too, sometimes write in meaning when it wants reading, and depending on consonant distribution, the gibberish does get accepted (especially on mobile). The ‘do you even kana’ script does help on my laptop, though!

Also, today I entered reading in the meaning box once, and was not saved by any script :sweat_smile: I wouldn’t mind a feature that flags reading entries in meaning boxes at all.

To ni kaku, the occurence of wrong answers caused by this is so small, that I am not too worked up about it. Minor annoyance, but I can shrug it off :woman_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.