Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

Well, ideas for making things easier for new users to navigate are always welcome :blush:

I think if you’ve been managing to read 君の名は on your own then you should be totally fine with whatever we pick :grin: hopefully this will give you a platform to be able to ask questions about the bits you don’t understand though, and motivation for more practice is always good :blush:

3 Likes

Yay for improving things!!

I’ve been fumbling my way through. Lol. I’m very slow、 and I don’t understand EVERYTHING 、I’m sure that nuances and smaller details are slipping past me、but with your help/the book club that can only get better、right? All that said、 it’s good to know that the BBC is the right level for me. I’m excited!! Thank you @Radish8!

4 Likes

Ps - I’m spewing I missed the last book - 銭天堂 - it sounds GREAT!! I’ll have to read it retrospectively one day. At least you guys have paved the way. Lol.

3 Likes

We don’t have the biggest group ever reading it, but I actually think it’s one of my favourite picks we’ve read! Being a children’s book it obviously isn’t the most sophisticated thing you’ll ever read, but the stories are genuinely fun and the language is a good level. A slightly frustrating lack of kanji, but that makes it quite good practice for parsing sentences.

5 Likes

We’re all here to learn and to help each other, and luckily this extends to using the forums.

That.
SCNR :wink:

I think if you managed to read 君の名は (albeit slowly and with struggles) then you might even want to try having a go at the intermediate book club? They currently read two books, and one of them, called コンビニ人間, is probably about the same difficulty as 君の名は (I think). (The other current intermediate book club pick is much harder to read, though.)
Incidentally, the club just started to read コンビニ人間 yesterday, so you could smoothly hop on if you feel so inclined. There are a few sample pages in the book’s nomination post, and you can also pre-read some pages on Bookwalker or Amazon, so you can make an informed decision before joining.

7 Likes

On booklive it’s 50% off until July 11th, too :smiley: and you can read the first volume (as well as first volumes from other series) for free until 11th.

2 Likes

I just had a glance at コンビニ人間 on the web、it sounds great! But looking at the reading itself、there is way too much kanji for me at the moment. I’m only level 14 and frankly、my reading sucks. It’s my weak spot. My grammar is not bad、hence why I can make out what’s going on when I eventually make out what I’m reading. I still have to use the dictionary a lot for vocab too、as the native stuff is far more articulate than I am! I think I should stick with the BBC. The ABBC would not be challenging enough、methinks、but I would drown in the IBC.

Thank you so much for your response and guidance.

5 Likes

I wasn’t aware that you were already level 40 (this high level). Somehow I imagined you between 25-30. Congratz :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve been level 40 since Christmas though :joy: you should more be wagging the finger because I’ve neglected my reviews for so long :stuck_out_tongue:

But thank you :blush: :purple_heart: I was pleased to get to this high a level.

7 Likes

You certainly deserve that golden badge :purple_heart:

2 Likes

We have a winner! :tada:

drumroll please…

Our next book will be 一週間フレンズ ・ One Week Friends :confetti_ball:

We should be starting this pick on the 10th of August.

14 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one! :rofl:
I last leveled up in January or February =P
I’m keeping up with my reviews though, just not doing lessons. Will continue when I feel ready, probably after the summer =)

I joined 2.5 years ago, that lifetime subscription sure was worth it :wink:
I push too hard, crash, burn and start all over! D=
This time I kept up with reviews so won’t restart again at least =P

6 Likes

I stopped very much on purpose, and was doing my reviews for several months, and then… pretty much just before I was planning to start up lessons again I kind of stopped altogether. At least I have vacation mode on :grimacing:

As you can maybe tell, I’m getting back into things by starting with the forums and reading first :wink:

8 Likes

I stopped on purpose too, had planed breaks ever so often. I could feel the burnout coming and stopped too late, so my review pile became a monster D=
I got a bad burnout and fell of every club, reading and grammar studies =/
I just recently picked up my reading again with Yotsuba and joined in on Chi. (it was my baby, I have to join in =^_^= )
Will continue with Genki too. But WaniKani will have to wait till I’m ready =P

5 Likes

I suspect I just finally got fed up of doing reviews :grin: I’ve also had an astonishingly large number of ‘life’ things going on, which hasn’t helped me get back on the wagon.

I was thinking it was a shame you weren’t reading Zenitendou because it seems right up your street, but now I understand!

2 Likes

I own it, and fully planed on it, but the burnout came just before it started D=
I still might read it later, and go back and follow the forum thread when I do =)

I usually buy every book and try to join everything, which stretch myself too thin.
I don’t feel passionate about this winner, nor the one on ABC, so will skip them both and focus on reading things I’m more passionate about for now. ( I would definitely join a “detective” club though :wink: )

4 Likes

goes to clear 150+ reviews and then turn vacation mode on

6 Likes

I wish Floflo had vacation mode :cry:

4 Likes

I wish WaniKani had a way to stop reviewing leeches. Then I wouldn’t need vacation mode. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

There’s a way. Just get them right next time. :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes