Beginner Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: 葬送のフリーレン // Next: ウスズミの果て

一週間フレンズ (Manga)

Summary

From MyAnimeList ( Isshuukan Friends. (One Week Friends) - MyAnimeList.net )

Sixteen-year-old Yuuki Hase finally finds the courage to speak to his crush and ask her if she wants to become friends. The object of his affection, Kaori Fujimiya, is a quiet and reserved girl who cuts herself off from everyone and does not spare him the same blunt rejection she gives everybody else.

Some time after, Yuuki finds her eating lunch on the roof where she secludes herself during break. He decides to start meeting with Kaori every day in the hopes of beginning to understand her better. The more time they spend together, the more she begins to open up to him. However, nearing the end of the week, she starts to push him away once more. It is then revealed to him the reason for Kaori’s cold front: at the end of the week, her memories of those close to her, excluding her family, are forgotten, as they are reset every Monday. The result of an accident in middle school, the once popular and kind Kaori is now unable to make friends in fear of hurting the people dear to her.

Determined to become more than just one week friends, Yuuki asks her the exact same question each Monday: “Would you like to be friends?” Because he knows that deep down, Kaori wishes for that more than anything.

[Written by MAL Rewrite]

Availability

An ebook is available (same link) and you can also read the first chapter (look inside)
edit: adding these links as the look inside seems to be clearer:

Personal Opinion

I haven’t read the manga, but I watched the anime and it was one of the easiest to understand anime I ever watched in Japanese, especially the first half. (I think the manga might be a bit more challenging because most of it seems to be 4-koma and rather condensed) The vocabulary is mostly everyday vocabulary that learners usually learn pretty early on. Later on as the story progresses some more memory-related terms pop up, and it get’s a little bit more difficult, but especially the start is more slice of life than anything else. I personally also found the story cute and wholesome and while not the most compelling overall, I can see myself reading it as well. There’s also both an anime adaption and a (live action) movie around, for people who enjoy that.

Format-wise from what I’ve seen in the first chapter it seems to switch between 4-koma and not-4-koma, but I’m not sure if this goes like that through the whole manga or not.

Pros and Cons for the Book Club

Pros

• Everyday vocab
  • Furigana
  • Quite wholesome story
  • I think it actually has quite a lot of speech, so lots of material to actually read

Cons

• Might be not the most compelling story out there?
  • has quite a lot of text for a manga at times, might seem overwhelming when you get started

Pictures

The pictures don’t seem to be very clear, but @NickNickovich mentioned the ebookjapan und bookwalker versions look cleaner

First Three Pages of Chapter One

Additional Pages

When it’s not 4-koma it’s usually more scenic, and less text-heavy:

Difficulty Poll

How much effort would you need to read this book?

• No effort at all
  • Minimal effort
  • Just right
  • Challenging
  • Impossible, even with everyone’s help
  • I don’t know (please click this if you’re not voting seriously)
0 voters
4 Likes