Are you satisfied with the learning speed?

no. i have terminal stupid

1 Like

The thing I noticed when working with the Anki input field was that what mattered more for my retention was thinking about the meaning of a word while pronouncing it and inputting it, rather than inputting alone, because it’s just letters on a keyboard. It might work better for others, though, who knows :slight_smile: .

Sounds like a good approach! If you see it works, that’s what matters the most I think.

I have separate themed decks in Anki as well - adjectives, verbs, politics + law, school + customs, etc. I’ve been discussing the importance of themed decks with my girlfriend and from her experience mixing items gives bigger diversity and possibly makes memorization less biased. To me personally the themes help, because starting with a general core concept of a word leads faster to its nuance. Contrary, if I put words into wrong decks, I had trouble figuring them out later.

Mmm yeah, I agree with this sentiment. Looking back at it, I think leaning too heavily on grinding kanji even if it’s with a bit of vocab would probably be less straightforward than working directly on vocab + grammar + reading. Especially that some of those joyos don’t appear as often and even if one technically memorizes them, that information will be slowly replaced with whatever else that appears more often.

I’m also kind of wondering whether not having a vocab-leaning flash card system, but still revealing how individual kanji come together to form the reading and meaning of a word would not make sense. Or relying on words that define the core of a kanji reading.

1 Like

My decks are separated by medium of consumption. I have a video game deck for my Animal Crossing words(mostly formal words), Manga deck(plenty of slang), class textbook(plenty of grammar points) and anime/v-tuber deck.

Personally, my favorite reason for separating them is so that I can focus on deck/medium for that day. If I feel like reading manga, I review my manga deck first and learn 15 new words before jumping back in. Plus, I can look at the cards in the deck for a refresher of what I’ve learned so far since I don’t jump between series of the medium(I read 1 manga series at a time).

My minimum daily goal consists of finishing a single deck for reviews and then consuming the media in the native language. I find that reinforcing ideas and understanding the context of when certain words are to be used to be more important than learning new words and reviewing words with little or context for the day.

This is especially true with onomatopoeia. No radicals inside a Kanji, very short and usually repetitive, I need as much context as possible to get them to stick in my head.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.