API Version 2 changes in regards to SRS stages

Instead if keeping it at -1 or fixing it to be 0, how about we make it +1?

11 Likes

You’re just evil.

25 Likes

Thank you

18 Likes

Threads which are of course not true (because to really complete Wanikani, you have to burn everything and it takes about 6 more months if your accuracy is high).

1 Like

Just commenting to say that

1. I’m glad the devs take the community’s feedback seriously when making changes to the site. As a developer, I know it can be frustrating to fix a quirk or a hack in the code (that’s no longer “needed”) only to find out that client user have been taking advantage of whatever that was in ways you weren’t expecting.

2. Maybe I shouldn’t be surprised, but I had no idea how regimented some peoples schedules were with reviews. I’ve always just kinda
did them when I got a chance. Same with new lessons, though I try to restrict myself to 10-15 new words or a kanji a day so it’s never too overwhelming. Though now that I think about it, I did have the luxury of having enough money to buy the lifetime subscription when it was on sale, so it makes sense people are trying to speed run their way through the service.

Anyway that’s all, thank you for keeping us informed of updates.

16 Likes

Except that people who are making those threads aren’t claiming anything contrary to what you said; they talk about reaching level 60.

As someone who can never reach level 60 in a year and isn’t trying to, that takes sustained effort and there’s nothing wrong with making a post celebrating their achievement. It also allows others to know more about their strategies.

5 Likes

You could add this as a surprise feature to your user scripts.

3 Likes

Ok all.

After taking into consideration of the use cases we weren’t aware of we are going to just leave the timings alone.

I will update this topic to be only concerned with the API changes and future of multiple spaced repetition systems.

89 Likes

Thank you!

I love the -1 hour SRS feature.

5 Likes

Thanks so much and sorry for my uncharitable comment earlier (if a single comment in an ocean even matters)

2 Likes

:heart: :heart:

1 Like

Could you explain this like I’m 5? I really don’t understand what the -1 hour means. I’ve read a bunch of comments but I still don’t really get it. Is there an optimal way to do the reviews? I just do them whenever I have a chance.

2 Likes

All intervals that are at least a whole day (so that’s Apprentice III and up) actually end in a 23 hour period, rather than a 24 one. So Guru I is actually 6d23h long in stead of a full 7d. (hence the -1 hour).
This means that reviewing an item at f.i. 20:10 and having it go from Apprentice IV to Guru I makes it become available for the next review (Guru I → Guru 2) at 19:00 in stead of at 20:00 (after a week).

This allows people to shift their consecutive reviews forward by an hour for every stage.

3 Likes

You know secretly I think they announced the timing change to distract us from the fact that they’re making a breaking change to the API. And it’s worked - no one is talking about the API endpoint change.

25 Likes

Haha true. If they are introducing multiple SRS, they can theoretically still offer various timings that you can select. Option 1 (default) will probably the 23-47-hour variant, option 2 is the 24-48-hour variant, and then there could be other options as well.

When I travel internationally, my SRS schedule gets messed up, and I often use the 23-47-hour timings to gradually get back to my home time zone. So I’m glad they’re keeping it.

9 Likes

Thank you very much!

That’s a great news: I really love the -1 hour feature!!

6 Likes

So are we taking bets on the reason for adding support for multiple SRS configurations?

4 Likes

Took 94 posts to finally solve the riddle.

24 Likes

Wow, I was too busy for couple of days to check forums thoroughly, and I missed so much drama!

3 Likes

all over one hour!

2 Likes