[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

The conversation seems to be around this point: If you could do offline everything, why even connect to WK at all? Just download everything at once and never connect to the API after that. That seems to be the staff’s official position. Like, one could technically continue WK in offline mode even after their subscription expired so I understand why they wouldn’t want that. :man_shrugging::woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

the wild idea is that there can be some marker, like BOM, which is placed there, and it might affect comparing the input with all answers.
it is definitely good to know that there are additional safeguards, though it is quite suspicious that it does not happen for everyone.

there is quite easy to safeguard from this - have information about subscription type (lifetime, subscription with expiration time, free), and act accordingly. this is not a point for an application to prevent offline mode. just because there is such possibility…
(reasoning that there is a baseline is like very solid argument, but… it is just a question of utilizing your time. flights are long, mostly without internet access, and… not to mention, subway can hinder internet access too.)

kind of offtop, but… that’s true in general that all information can be dumped, even with a non-paid account, it is more a point of honesty, and willing to pay for all the great work that was done by wk team. :woman_shrugging::man_shrugging:

In the case of WaniKani, it’s not “can be”, it’s more like “already has been”, considering there’s Anki decks with the full WK content out there already.

Yeah, that’s a real concern, and it’s legitimate. That’s why FD will fall back to non-subscribed mode if you haven’t synced for a long time.

It’s also one reason why I’m hesitant to open source the app, since it would make it so much easier for someone to just grab the code and make an app that does exactly what you describe. I don’t want that. Then again, it’s already possible to find and download Anki decks with WK content, which are flat-out illegal to distribute. Where do you draw the line? Not an easy question to answer.

So bottom line, it’s a dangerous tightrope to walk, and I don’t envy the WK folks for doing it. I just don’t want to be part of the problem in this.

2 Likes

A sort-of-suggestion…

A feature I like with the current version (1.15.1/1.17) is that it syncs one item at a time. In 1.16.x it syncs the whole batch at the very end of a session, there was even a progress bar.

A nice effect of the individual syncing is that when finishing a session I can see the bars in the diagrams update for each object that syncs, which is kind of positive reinforcement for the progress I’m achieving. In 1.16.x when I get back from a review session that diagrams have already updated and I don’t see the changes happening. To me that feels a bit like cognitive dissonance.

Also, while watching the diagrams update your brain gets a small break before beginning the next review session, since it takes a while for say 50 items to sync.

Unfortunately, if you have delayed processing enabled, during the phase you describe it is possible to lose review results if the app happens to crash then. The extra step at the end with the progress bar is to prevent that from happening, and it will come back in the next update.

I understand the appeal of watching the bars change in real time, but not losing review results is more important :wink:

Talking about the input field, I’ve discovered today that the app crashes if you put in just a single space for the meaning answer.

I’d also have a request. I don’t know what others would prefer, but I feel like it would be more convenient to have the Previous and Next buttons on the bottom of the screen during lessons.

1 Like

Aaaaaaahhhh, if only all bugs were that easy to find… :wink: . It turns out, I do a check for an empty answer, but forgot to add a check for an answer that is empty except for spaces.

Fixed for the next update.

I’ll put it on the list.

1 Like

Under option, then, please :slight_smile:

No worries, this kind of thing is always optional.

I’m going to slowly bring back the safest parts of 1.16 that I had to take out for the mystery bug. There are two parts I am just going to drop completely since they’re the riskiest, but in this update there’s a fairly important bug fix for lost review results, and some cosmetic changes to the timeline chart which is completely unconnected to the session workflow.

Apologies to the folks who may get annoyed by the frequent updates, but until I get some idea of where the mystery bug came from I have to move in careful baby steps to avoid it happening again.

Also, on the off-chance the problem does return, I have included a bunch of extra logging to help identify it.

Version 1.17.1, 2019-11-06:

• Add logging in session workflow for better diagnostics in the future.
  • Add an option to change the scale of the Y-axis grid lines in the timeline bar chart.
  • Fix a crash bug that can happen when inputting a space for a meaning answer.

Re-done changes from 1.16:

• Crash protection for sessions with delayed processing - it shouldn’t be possible anymore to lose multiple review results in a crash.
  • Add option to hide the waterfall line in the timeline chart.
  • Add style “next SRS stage” for the timeline bar chart.
1 Like

I don’t see an update for Flaming Durtles in the Play Store yet, is it normal for it to take a while to show up? I’m unfamiliar with how this works - I usually don’t try to update apps until the Play Store gives me a notification (and I really don’t know why I have to go to the Play Store and manually hit the update button when I have it set to auto-update…)

Also I’m trying to leave a review on the Play Store but I legit cannot find the option, it does not seem to be there (how did all those other people leave reviews, then?) so I’ll just say here, 5 stars! I often end up using this app even when I’m at home with access to my computer because it’s just as good as the website with addons (and better than the base site, imo) and sometimes I just wanna review on my phone instead :slight_smile: Thanks so much for making it and for being so responsive to bug reports and feedback!

Every update has to be approved by Google, when I push an update it can take any amount of time for the update to show up in the store. Lately, FD updates have been approved in minutes, even during the weekend, but for some reason this one took a few hours. Regardless, it’s live now.

With auto-update you’ll eventually get the update without doing anything, but in my experience auto-update can lag a day or so behind, so updating manually just means you get the update faster.

I can’t write a review for my own app, but I imagine it’ll be the same as any other app, there should be a “write a review” button on the store page. Regardless, your feedback is heard and appreciated :slight_smile:

@ejplugge - there is small UI issue to take a look at.

there is some overlap for search results, the bottom is clipped.

this seems to be the only view with this issue, others are good. e.g. for a level view, it is correct, there is some additional space between the content and the bottom of the screen.

still with 1.16 version - to have page state preserved on switching back from other pages. though, with this version, audio is still replayed on getting to a review screen with vocab reading.

there is also one strange thing - the kanji ‘羨’ (level 21) has radical ‘次’. however, the list of kanji for that radical does not list that kanji.
at the same time, it is listed at wanikani page.

what is the way to correct it? drop database from Settings > Reset Database ?

peeking into sqlite db of FD application, there is such line:

INSERT INTO subject VALUES(278,'radical',0,0,2,21,'次','next', … ,'[1133,1179,1442,2097,2159]', …);

which does not include reference for a kanji:

INSERT INTO subject VALUES(8880,'kanji',1,0,40,21,'羨','羨', … ,'[8767,48,278]', …);

No, don’t bother, that won’t fix anything. The data comes straight from the API, so a reset will just put the same data right back in there.

This is a WK database issue. The API shows 278 as a component for 8880, but doesn’t show 8880 as an amalgamation of 278. This can only be fixed on theird end.

(And no, I’m not going to second guess the WK db. The almighty Crabigator is our friend. The almighty Crabigator is always right. The API is always trusted as the single point of authority.)

there was no call for such action - rather it was in order to check whether there is something to do from a user’s side, or maybe report it to wk team. so, it seems to be the latter, and in this case it might be worth to check if there are similar broken cross-links.

It was a pre-emptive reaction since I’m sure some people would be happy to suggest I work around it, and I don’t want to do that.

When I have some time I’ll look into the relationships and see if there are a lot of mismatches and report it to the devs.

thanks a lot! it is good to know it will be checked in details.

what is not very clear is that the web-interface is updated, but it seems that not all relations were updated during content update in july, which brought this kanji.