[Android] Flaming Durtles - Android app with offline support

How do I view the stroke order?

You’ll need to download the stroke order font.

Hi,
Here is a refinement request on the Notes page: can you please let the ‘reading notes’ and ‘writing notes’ stretch to fit the user notes? currently, the height is hardcoded and my notes cannot be fully displayed.

Also, it could be more user friendly to display the ‘save’(close) button at the top, eather than the bottom. Thanks!

Can you go into more details please?

Download the KanjiStrokeOrders_v4.002.ttf file. Then in Flaming Durtles go to

Settings > Font Settings > Import Fonts for Quiz Questions

The problem I’m running into is that when I try to download the font to my phone, I get the PDF file instead. Did this happen to anyone else?

Found another bug with the old update. Whenever I opened the app it immediately crashed and I have to open it again - it worked the second time. Was happening from last night to when I updated the app today. The reversion fixed it, but figured if you’re looking at the code you pulled for other bugs, you might want to know about this one.

This is a fantastic app! Finally I can do reviews and lessons offline!

One feature I would love is to be able to use Android’s Japanese keyboard when entering kana, and the English keyboard when entering meanings, but I’m not sure how feasible it is.

I’ll put it on the list.

It may still be the same problem behind the scenes, I still haven’t found the real problem, only that it’s gone now
 But more information is always good, so thanks.

This is unfortunately not possible, I can’t control what kind of keyboard pops up. You can change keyboard manually for each question, but that’s really annoying of course.

1 Like

Hi, i am under the impression that the app is no more taking the initiative to unlock new lessons when radicals are passed. It seems the app waits for the next online sync before it shows the new lessons. Am I correct?

During last weekend (at that time i may have been running 1.6 or 1.7), I had the impression that some lessons did not show immediately even after synchronizing online. Other kanji with the same unlocked radicals came much earlier ( still in the same WK level).
All in all, I am wondering if you recently reduced the autonomous unlock control of the offline app after the discussion with Viet on the API discussion thread (i am refering to the discussion about unlocking new levels in offline mode).

I’ve got a feature-request:

The dashboard display of number of items in each level is totally static at the moment. Maybe it would be possible to click each of the boxes and get a list of the items in the respective level? Eg. see which items are Enlightened at the moment.

Yes, that’s true. The app doesn’t process unlocks anymore since that doesn’t work properly with the current API design. New lessons are only made available when they are picked up from the API.

If you pass an item (push it to Guru for the first time) during a review session, the review result itself is synced as soon as possible, but the unlocks are not noticed until a full sync is done. For this reason, when you finish a session where one or more items are passed, the app will automatically schedule an extra sync to make sure unlocks are noticed and processed immediately and correctly. And if you level up, you may even get a third sync to make sure your new items are available for lessons immediately.

But that extra sync only happens if you actually finish or abandon the session. If you leave the session open it doesn’t happen immediately, although it will still happen on the next manual or hourly sync.

Having said that, whatever the strange bug in 1.16 was, it may have messed up this logic as well. I don’t see how, but since the whole bug is still a mystery to me it’s still a possibility.

Bottom line: if it happens again in 1.17 I really want to hear about it and see your debug log, because that would be a new bug. But I am fairly confident that it won’t happen in 1.17, the unlocks will be picked up on your next sync or if you finish/abandon your session.

Yes and no. For a while, there was a setting in the app for predictive logic, which was false by default. If false, nothing predictive would happen, and the app wouldn’t even try to schedule your next review. If true, it went full-out and scheduled your next review, updated statistics, and processed unlocks and level-ups.

But because it was turned off by default, the unlocks only happened if you turned it on yourself.

After the discussion with the devs, I removed the option completely, and settled on the current implementation: the app will schedule your next review and update statistics, but does not process unlocks or level-ups. This is sort of in the middle between having the old option on and off.

1 Like

Will do. It’s been on the list for a long time, but it keeps getting pushed back because of other things which I think are more useful and/or important.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. As such, it makes even more sense to remind the user to synchronize after key achievements.

considering that there are only few complaints of this kind, it might be that local device settings result in such situation.
like, different keyboard, locale, etc.
it might be that the input words (meaning) are in latin wide-characters which are written as normal ones, and obviously it cannot be validated.

so, for those having issue with correct answers being marked incorrectly - please specify the keyboard type (what application is in use) and what setting/mode it is working currently.
‘swift’ keyboard in ‘english’ input mode works fine.

it has been discussed previously - and putting scale for waterfall requires space on the right, and @ejplugge wants to avoid it.
the only way for now is to take the overall number of reviews, “XXX in next 24 hours” and scale this number in your mind on how waterfall is shown.

so, in short: it is possible to do regular reviews in offline mode, but for level-up/unlocks, you are to be online to sync the state.
so no levelups during flights, eh

1 Like

Hopefully, the WK team will address the API implementation issues.

it would be awesome to be able to run quiz from that view for those items. well, if the number is low (for some reason, more than 400-500 items in the list in quiz results in some random number of random elements to be selected.)

Maybe, but this is not really a bug or a problem in the API. This is a result of the design choices that the WK devs have made, and the API is working as intended. So far they have fixed every API problem I have brought to their attention, but this is more a “it’s working the way we want it to work” kind of thing.

Which I don’t have a problem with, really. I mean, I’d like it to be different, but they are the ones building the system and offering the service.

Yes, but it is a setback to shoot for offline mode with rare synchronisation requirements, to sync required to unlock a level, and now sync required to unlock any lessons.
If you dont initiate all your lessons at once, or if you fail some sessions, every items are coming at different timeslots, and at the end if the day, you need to keep on synchronizing after every session to optimize the learning througput.

Keep in mind that the baseline is not what Flaming Durtles or other apps offer. The baseline is the web site which doesn’t offer offline reviews at all. Being able to offer any kind of offline reviews is already a big step up. Sure, we’d like to take a bigger step up, but don’t forget how big a step backwards it would be to be forced back into online-only mode. The current offline functionality is pretty good already.

This is what I thought at first, until reports started coming in that it was also affecting meaning questions/answers and that correct answers for radicals were still resulting in items being counted as incorrect in the session results.

The whole thing is puzzling, but it doesn’t seem to be affected by input settings or encoding. I have a few safeguards for that in place already. For example, if you answer a reading question with anything other than the normal set of Hiragana and/or Katakana characters, you get a shake-and-retry no matter what.