An argument for AJATT

Wouldn’t that be SJSOTT? :smiley:

5 Likes

Or OJWYFLI.

Occasionally Japanese When You Feel Like It.

(I love that I can tell precisely what SJSOTH means without any explanation.)

6 Likes

What does the H stand for?

1 Like

Time to start a new cult!
…or not… you know… if you feel like it…

4 Likes

Now I’m interested to hear him speak.

I remember someone posted a video one time of him reading text in a game or something. But all that shows is that you can read aloud, it’s not necessarily indicative of comprehension.

1 Like

You can search on youtube, but he was mainly rambling, the good videos are probably hidden somewhere. But amazing how many videos pop up with hipster glasses/beard people in the first search results.

[You can skip the video where some old guy is “nitpicking”, he mainly tries to find out if the accent is from Tokyo or Nagoya, but already decides that he is “amazing” after the first sentence.]

1 Like

Aren’t you mixing MattvsJapan and Khatzumoto ?

英語で書いたけどさ。 。 。

If there’s more than one “the AJATT guy” then I guess, but it doesn’t really change what I said. I’d be interested in hearing anyone talk who claims to have used the method to reach whatever level they claim.

2 Likes

won’t find many who can form coherent sentences and hold up during conversions with japanese people.

I think this is the one people usually reference

Not that I’m good enough to judge it properly, but it doesn’t sound “terrible” at all to me…

EDIT: and yeah, I also think what OP describes sounds like SJSOTT, or just plain exposure.

What?? So now the post turned into that not only AJATT it’s too extreme of a way to learn japanese but also that the guys that promote it are not that good… :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

I fail to have the accuracy to decide that, but a japanese teacher who analyze accents is a fair enough judge to me (you know, been japanese learners most people here :man_shrugging:)
There’s merit to these guys wether you like the whole mentality / method they’re are / were promoting…

PS: and to the OP. Yeah… this has been yet another pointless post regarding AJATT, I’m sorry to say…

1 Like

Apart from just rambling about uninterested details, did the teacher really say Naggowyah for Nagoya or did I imagine it? :slight_smile:

Also, that teacher did state repeatedly that the guy’s really good and that he’s just nitpicking, right?

That seems like high praise to me… (I’m not saying anything about AJATT as such, just giving credit where it’s due)

2 Likes

I’m kind of perplexed why it’s framed like it’s a candid video or something, where he’s fretting about whether his Japanese will be perceived as good enough or not.

Not that I have criticism of his Japanese, but that just seems like such an odd thing to upload.

I forget who it was, but there was that guy that had a channel where he would upload his iTalki sessions. That would be a more interesting thing to me, where it’s a conversation guided by a native about something other than his own Japanese.

1 Like

I’m always a but suspicious when you just open your mouth and everything is directly awesome. When I’m uploading a video in English no one would say my English is amazing from managing it through the first sentences.

1 Like

Your typing, though, is astounding!

1 Like

I’m not sure what in my message you’re arguing against, but my point was only that he’s not terrible.

@crihak Maybe I’m not directly arguing against you, my point is that from a short video you can’t tell he’s really good. It’s obvious he can speak Japanese about the topic he is probably talking about all the time, without interruption.

Someone linked a video from Dogen about how to respond to 上手 some time ago, that was amazing :slight_smile: But he also seems to be a show talent, and speaking such that even Japanese people will have trouble telling it apart is not really necessary to be considered good in Japanese in my book. As long as you can handle even unexpected events without misunderstanding with different people (like a child, the granny in the park, a Shinto priest, an angry policeman) you are doing very nicely. But it’s hard to judge from videos people choose to upload.

At least, if you are speaking consistently in Tokyo accent is pretty much at the end of my priorities.

Is astounding a compliment or not :thinking: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oops!! Fixed.

1 Like