Am I supposed to know how verbs conjugate?

I might have mistranslated, but how I understand it is that the action doesn’t have any effect or influence on something else. However, I guess that it’s not particularly precise, and the last sentence makes things even more confusing because it just says that things are ‘not clear’ in Japanese. To go back to my example, well, uh… does ‘exceeding’ something not have an effect on it? That’s debatable. Honestly though, my best guess here is just that the verb is clearly related to 回る, and that’s a movement verb, so perhaps it’s more easily envisioned as something intransitive since most movement verbs are intransitive, 回る included? Alternatively, 上回る is being treated as a movement verb as well, meaning that the thing exceeded is just a location traversed in this context. What makes it a little counterintuitive is that I don’t think 上回る actually has a corresponding literal usage. Perhaps I’m wrong though.

2 Likes

The problem is that you can find examples of 自動詞 that do affect another entity rather significantly, yet that entity is not marked as a direct object (as an example: 彼氏と別れた). And, of course, what counts as “affected” is rather subjective.

I get that it’s fine as a first-order approximation, but I think there’s a reason to prefer a more concrete definition.

Of course, this is all so wildly off-topic now that we should maybe end it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

It is difficult for me to memorize the correct meaning and usage of transitive/intransitive verbs or verbs like you mentioned without context. So in the end in order to be sure what it means I try to recall a sentence I heard already.

In your case that would be a children’s voice saying 見せて!or someone asking 見えない?
Maybe it takes some time to have a stock for this but I am just trying to say that with time things are getting easier in a way without having to think too complicated.

2 Likes

Yeah, actually, my go-to for 見える is Aqua from Konosuba saying 「見える…見える!」
before launching into some nonsensical vision, and I remember 聞こえる because in another episode, she was shouting through the barrier between life and death going,「かずま、聞こえる?」Quotes are useful if you find them memorable. (I have no idea why both my quotes are from the same character in the same anime, but there you go.)

2 Likes

Interesting, it might be something more general than I expected.
Actually I am really embarrassingly bad at memorizing transitive or intransitiveness without that sensical memory.
There might be a way to use it, like a small video clip with sound that can be imported to Anki like a meme with sound.
If I find a way I might start a topic with a collection of these. Maybe others also have that problem.

2 Likes