Am i cheating?

So im using the kanji and vocab that i gurued here to make sentences for anki to practice my grammar would that be cheating?

No way! If you were looking at answers as you took quizzes then that would be cheating. What you are doing is learning and studying. :smile:

2 Likes

I know some people here are “SRS-purists” and probably wouldn’t want to do this in order not to mess with the SRS system but I think this is a really good way of practicing writing. I’d only consider it cheating if you purposely pick kanji/vocab just before it’s up for a review. But your approach seems good - it’s actually something I really wanna do more often as well :slight_smile:

The SRS is mostly a time management tool, not so much a memorization tool. It helps you to do the minimum amount of study and still (in theory) remember items. By doing the minimum on each item, you free up more time to memorize a larger volume of items. The purpose of reviews, then, is to assess your current level of memorization of each item to determine how much to adjust your exposure to the item and still achieve memorization.

The problem with minimal memorization is that you won’t reach fluency. Granted, that’s not the SRS’s intent. It’s supposed to cram your head full if information, so when you encounter it in your main practice (reading, listening, grammar study), you’re less likely to have to look things up, and your real-world practice will flow more naturally.

Basically, more practice is almost always good. Just know that if the SRS is your primary means of study, studying an item shortly before it comes up for review will affect the SRS’s assessment of your progress, and you may end up getting less exposure to an item than you really need.

10 Likes

Memorization tool on WaniKani is actually laughable Mnemonics. Memorization tools I use coupled with WaniKani are dictionary and usage (real life thingies).

1 Like

I don’t think it’s good to study kanji, vocab or whatever on outer resources before you’ve guru’ed them here, because from there on is where the system understands you have a nice idea of their meaning and reading. But, as for after you’ve done it, the site itself makes you go over their meanings and readings again, presenting you with more vocabullary, so you’re already studying them outside of their review time. Also, I think WaniKani is only introducing you to all it presents. It is assuming you’re going to use it. After all, why are you learning it anyway if you’re not going to put into any use? It’s a whole new language! It should be useful for all your life. When you learn the alphabet, you don’t keep on studying the ABC separatedly the rest of your life, right? You read, and then it naturally sticks.

Speaking of which, below Guru, i.e. Apprentice or Not-yet-learned
 I think it is always good to cheat however you want
 because you haven’t properly remembered it yet.

About memorization beyond WaniKani mnemonic, because you need real life thingies, beyond level 20-30, you will also need more difficult Japanese materials as well
 otherwise you may fail to remember
 and also, leeches will be noticeable.

That’s why I need to learn other aspects of Japanese language too.

1 Like

Hmm i guess ill continue putting the vocab/kanji into sentence decks after i gurued them.

Keep doing it! That is how you really understand the words in their context - especially when it comes to conjugating verbs and using adjectives. The more real life readings you can practice the better

1 Like

Agree - words which are met in context get remembered much easier. There is no real reason to purposefully avoid them.

I also want to add that SRS is a less exact thing than many people apparently think - the general idea beyond SRS is studied and understood, however the exact optimal intervals (which also can vary from individual to individual) are pretty much unknown. So you aren’t really doing yourself a favour by thinking that all it takes is learning things exactly when SRS suggests, and going against it is haram.

I view SRS only as an improved version of the good old “vocabulary of the day”, when back in school teacher would give a list of words to manually learn before/after every lesson. Which was by no means the body of the lesson.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.