After You Left WaniKani

Let me also give my opinion because I am also level 60 (reversed for styling purposes).

I think the goal of using WK is learning how to read Kanji, not necessarily memorize 100% all the Kanji. If you remember even 70% of all the Kanji I think it’s already pretty good, the rest might be burned through reading or maybe you will never have to use it. It’s easier to remember something you already used anyway.

There is also a duration problem. If you pick another language that has a similar writing system to English you can learn it in like 6 month if you really try your best. Whereas for Japanese, you spent more than year just for Kanji so you are craving for something different. I think I don’t have to tell you how hard the grammar is, so focusing on that will be good start.

Though I bet your grammar isn’t that bad at this point so just go all in on speaking. Just become fluent, do it!
Of course, at this stage of the game, you should go to what started everything. For example if you learned Japanese to read manga then go and do it, you deserve it!

So your situation is completely normal. I will try my best to reach lvl 60 (because I like everything related to levels) though I won’t necessarily focus on burning every single item (says the guy who didn’t burn anyone yet :laughing:)

I wish you success in all future endeavors, you did well, now let your 後輩 do the rest!

What have I told you about this? :stuck_out_tongue: S’il te plaît sois gentil.

To be honest, I haven’t studied Japanese that much since I became level 60. Why? Because I lost sight of my goal.

I wanted to reach level 60 asap. That was my main goal. After I reached it, I was in a weird position. I never read much Japanese. I still have my よつばと! somewhere around the house that has yet to be read. However, I pretty much chatted with natives during the entire year on a daily basis. I could pretty much express myself with N3 grammar. The only problem I was facing was vocab (Anki, I hate you.), but hey that is expected to happen for a while.

Basically, it has been around 3 months since I last studied grammar. I only came back to SRS new vocab 10 days ago. I’m still struggling to achieve the same intensity as I had before.

My point being, ask yourself why. Why did you start learning Japanese. At this weird point, I think it’s important to direct your focus torwards that goal. I was thinking about taking N2 in December, but JLPT was never my goal. I was going after an achievement, not after fulfillment. You’ll want to focus on the latter. Why? Because fulfillment brings achievement, but the opposite isn’t true.

So now instead of me focusing on N2, I’ll be trying to practice my writing and speaking more (the opposite of what JLPT evaluates).

So tell me, why did you start learning Japanese? @heisamaniac That’s where your focus should be towards :slight_smile:

Well, since you asked…

When I was a tiny fetus I could recite the alphabet before I could even speak, I would write letters on pieces of paper cause I liked letters… I even slept in my bed with a chart of the alphabet apparently… I don’t know why.
I’ve been fascinated by writing systems since forever basically. I learned the Hebrew alphabet half a year ago as well just cause it looked pretty.

Knowing this I guess that Japanese and it’s kanji became my ultimate pleasure in a way. Sooo many characters to learn :heart_eyes:
I got interested in Japanese at age 10 probably and would look look through Japanese dictionaries and write out “cool looking” characters without any meaning attached what so ever. Then I started watching anime and thought that the language sounded incredible so that just brought me down deeper down the Japanese abyss.

I began to study the writing systems but only made it past hiragana + katakana + 50 kanji until I gave up because my young fetus brain couldn’t comprehend the patterns or reasoning for characters having so many different pronunciations (hello 生, we are friends now but you basically ruined the 10 year old me).

Many many many years later (last summer) I found an old Death Note manga volume in my closet, fully in Japanese. I flipped though the pages and thought “Maybe I can understand kanji better this time around. It would be so nice to finally be able to read this.” and that’s where it all began.

I’ve basically been studying every single day without exception for more than a year and WaniKani was incredibly fun since I was learning SO much in such a short amount of time. I still couldn’t read any real Japanese in the early levels, so WaniKani was my favourite Japanese activity.
Now that I can read that old dusty death note manga with little problem, I’m making my way though the whole series and it’s now my favourite Japanese activity. Along with playing Persona 5 in Japanese. It makes sense then why I don’t want to use WaniKani any more since I can already improve my Japanese comprehension while consuming native material.

I cancelled my WaniKani subscription yesterday so it’ll run our in a few days and it feels really good. Basically all my free time is spent in Japanese (reading, watching anime, playing games, making sentence cards, kanji writing practice, listening whenever physically possible) so WaniKani has done it’s work and it’s time to move on.

Thank you for carrying on my legacy :merman: I’ll be observing your Journey :coffee:

It’s a wise plan

On one of the Tofugu podcasts Kouichi said they don’t want to keep users in at WaniKani, they want to get them out - after learning what they needed to learn. Something like that.

I see it the same. WK is a tool and once you feel you can “survive”, I’d move on. At least in my case, my goal is not to complete the WK challenges, my goal is to become half way fluent with japanese. Even with english there are a lot of words I don’t know and usually don#t need to.

The spark has definitely faded for me too. I hit 60 about 3 months ago, took a short break, spent some time getting my apprentice down to 0, and after I managed that I stopped being able to bring myself to care and haven’t really touched the reviews in like a month. I’m still keeping up on my kaniwanis, pretty much because they’re easier because you don’t have to do two sides of each card (and I let myself use the backspace key pretty leniently…), but here I have 1483 reviews waiting.

Partly it’s because I have a thesis I need to write, and I can really only spend as much attention as something like either wk or thesis demands on one thing at a time, and right now it has to be thesis. But switching gears also kind of made me re-evaluate what I’m still getting out of wk… it’s not nothing, mind you; I’m still forgetting the more rare and mixing up similar-looking kanji and getting flashcarded on them helps, but I don’t feel like my vocabulary is expanding in any useful way, which was what kept me going for the most part. So I figure I’ll probably wade through those 1500 once after finishing my thesis, and then let my subscription lapse.

I tried for a few days starting a memrise deck of the remaining 常用 wk doesn’t teach but I never really liked any flashcards outside of wk, and think my existing supplementary technique of just looking stuff up on jisho and eventually, comparatively slowly, starting to remember them just by sight is enough. I think I can be content with a steady state of keeping reading/listening to native material, and trying not to beat myself up too hard for needing jisho every so often.

Rumor has it that some people just add “potato” as definition for all those obscure terms they never ever will see again.