Adding readings to context sentences

I often use the context sentences to check that I’ve remembered the readings for certain words, however in many cases I need to run it through Google translate to make sure I’ve got the pronunciation down correctly. Problem with this is that I find the Google translate extension to be hit and miss in identifying Japanese on a mixed language site.

It would be very helpful if there was a spoiler/toggle where if I clicked it, it would then show me how it is meant to be said. The benefit of this approach is that I can then check my pronunciation myself, but also not being forced to see it all the time.

EDIT: Updated the screenshot to show kana, not romanji. I failed to articulate that I already know Kana, causing confusion in the thread.

4 Likes

I’m firmly in camp disagree here.

I think Romaji is a crutch, for starters.

But importantly, Japanese is a completely phonetic language (bar some very small exceptions with を and は) so if you’ve learned your kana then there’s no reason you don’t know how it’s pronounced.

5 Likes

Looks like I may not have explained what I’m trying to achieve well enough :smile:

If I know the Kana, then I should be able to read it, but sometimes I’m not able to since I’m still learning. In that case, my options are to copy it into Google Translate and see how its pronounced. Once I’m done, then I’m able to re-read it.

Aim isn’t to use Romanji here in order to be able to read it, the aim is to have the Romanji available in order to verify I have the readings in my head correctly.

1 Like

Nah, you explained it well enough in the first post, but you’ve just confirmed my point. the romaji (not romanji) is acting as a crutch. If it’s there you’re always going to be tempted to look at it. Instead of just reading the kana (I reckon the kanji should have furigana up to guruing them on here, with a toggle to show them if you get stuck (like NHK easy does)), you’re constantly relying on the romaji being there.

I don’t think that’s conducive to learning Japanese, personally.

5 Likes

I don’t think I understand your perspective here. If you read a context sentence and you’ve forgotten how its pronounced, what’s your approach in that situation?

2 Likes

“it” referring to hiragana? You are expected to know hiragana before starting wanikani.

5 Likes

Read it in kana. @pembo’s point isn’t “reading assistance is bad” but rather “romaji is a crutch you should move away from as soon as you’ve got a handle on kana”.

5 Likes

Learn the kana.

it’s phonetic. It’s not like english where rough, dough, bough, through don’t rhyme.

I’m not here to judge anyone but I don’t understand how you’ve made it to level 9 without knowing kana pronunciation to be honest.

2 Likes

I understand your perspective, but I agree with @pembo さん。
Learning kana so well that it reads automatically might seem like a very hard task at first, but it’s actually achievable quite quickly. And if you keep using romaji – then you would be slowing that process.

But on what I agree with you – is that the context sentences should have furigana for kanji, especially as in many cases a context sentence would have words that are either higher level or not taught on WK at all, so there’d be no way to read it properly except for using a dictionary.

1 Like

I see what you’re saying now. I don’t actually use Romaji, since I’m able to read Kana without a problem. I run it through Google Translate to listen to the voice, and I can check I get it right. I think you saw that I put Romaji in the screenshot, and assumed I couldn’t read Kana.

I feel if there was Hirigana / Furigana which could be switched on/off, that would be a mightly helpful addition.

For example having these two together:

I’ll update the original post to reflect this.

Agree. Sometimes WK uses kanji you haven’t learned yet in context sentences, so it would be nice if they at least tell us how those words are pronounced. Even the Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar does this. Otherwise you have to copy paste into jisho. It’s not a total fix but this script will remind you of the readings of kanji you’ve already learned.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I needed :+1:

1 Like

It sounds like you want (possibly togglable) furigana for the context sentences.
I don’t know why that is not a default feature, and I also don’t know of any userscripts that add this feature.
I get around the issue by using yomichan, which is generally a great tool for when you are trying to read stuff slightly above your level. It provides mouse over dictionary entries for Japanese words in your web browser, which includes their reading.

4 Likes

[Userscript] Advanced Context Sentence 2 did the trick for me.

It even has audio clip readings which is perfect, exactly what I needed. Thank you very much @hotdogsuplex

3 Likes