Absolute Beginners Book Club // Reading Next: Card captor Sakura

Bookwalker is probably the most popular option because it has so many sales and promotions, but plenty of people use other options. Yes, it has an ios app.

I just made an account and so far do enjoy how the site looks! Does this site have a dictionary option to look up words and things of the sort? Also, you mentioned a free trial? is that for the unlimited reading?

Youā€™ll have to use a separate dictionary like jisho.org to look up words. The book club will also have a vocabulary sheet that you can reference as you read! Your setup will depend on what kind of devices you have. I usually just read on a computer and have the manga open in one window and dictionary/vocab sheet in a window next to it.

Ahhh gotcha! I actually use Jisho for everything haha. I made an edit to my last reply, but I just asked if the free trial you referred to was the ā€œunlimited readingā€?

Oh, sorry I meant free sample. When you go on the bookā€™s page and click čŖ­ć‚€ youā€™ll be able to read like 30 or so pages for free, which will be the first couple weeks of the book club.

Not sure if you are subscribed to the unlimited reading, but if you are do you recommend it?
I was looking at the free sample just now, which is why I asked about the dictionary option.

Iā€™ve never tried the unlimited reading option, no. Not sure if anyoneā€™s used it, but if anyone has they can chime in if they see this. With the sales and coinback promotions itā€™s pretty easy to get a lot of manga for cheap already.

1 Like

If bookwalker did have an integrated dictionary thatā€™d be great. As is it has loading time when swapping to the dictionary app so if youā€™re looking up a lot of words on every page that gets a bit slow.

I think the unlimited reading only works out to be worth it if you read a lot, most of the sales they have are good so the books arenā€™t very much to start with and itā€™ll take a while to read in a foreign language.

2 Likes

If you are on a phone, try looking at the potential multi-window features of it. A lot of phones these days allow stuff like split screen or floating windows (redmi phones for example allow the latter decently seemlessly, which is why I stick to them).

But yeah, the loading times are the reason I switched over to Amazon and the kindle app, since not only is that much laxer about when to reload, but itā€™s also way faster at it.

1 Like

Glad to hear that you already get good deals off the books! with that I suppose i dont need to get the unlimited subscription. Correct me if im wrong but i thought I read somewhere that paypal is a payment option for bookwalker. Is this true?

Did you mean to reply to me?

Paypal is indeed an option bookwalker can take.

well I meant to reply to everyone lol. I ask because I was trying to buy ć‚«ćƒ¼ćƒ‰ć‚­ćƒ£ćƒ—ć‚æćƒ¼ć•ćć‚‰
but when prompted to choose a payment it does not let me finish my check-out with paypal.

So thereā€™s two reply boxes on this forum. The blue button (in the green box) sends a reply to the topic, while the button on someoneā€™s post which Iā€™ve put an orange box around is for a reply specifically to that person (and notifices them accordingly)

4 Likes

Ahhh I see it now! thanks for that =D

4 Likes

So, Iā€™ve purchased a bunch of things on Bookwalker this year, and been able to use PayPal every time. However, Iā€™m just now attempting to purchase the first 6 volumes of CCS, and itā€™s not allowing me to select PayPal as an option this time. I get a message displayed that indicates that if Iā€™m purchasing from outside of Japan, certain works cannot be purchased using PayPal. Itā€™s still an option for a volume of Detective Conan for me, so my guess is Card Captor Sakura is one of the works that is excluded for PayPal purchases from outside of Japan.

Iā€™m hoping I can just use the Credit Card option, even I donā€™t have a Japanese credit cardā€¦ Did you end up completing your purchase? What did you end up using to pay?

So Iā€™ve paid fine with my Irish debit card.

I wonder if itā€™s a workaround to buy points, then use points to buy the manga?

Oh wait I think Iā€™ve had that problem before with paypal. I was able to use a mastercard debit card to pay. I canā€™t remember if you can connect with VPN and then use paypal anyways.

Yeah, I could probably do that if I had to. Or I could just buy another couple volumes of DC, which would give me enough coins to buy CCS Volume 1 that way. Thatā€™s a good sign that an Irish card works, though - Iā€™ll try my US card later today, and hopefully itā€™ll work.

Hmm, interesting idea, though I donā€™t have a VPN, so I canā€™t really try it. Hopefully my card will end up working.

Iā€™ve used TunnelBear as a free VPN. A free account gives you a fairly small amount of data transmission, but itā€™s much more than enough to connect to the VPN, make a purchase, and then disconnect.

2 Likes