A Dictionary of ______ Japanese Grammar v.s. A Handbook of Japanese Grammar Patterns for Teachers and Learners

I think that if you are not solid on things like the core functions of all the particles, all the basic connective phrases, temporal ordering of clauses etc. DBJG would prob be a better choice. It goes into a lot more depth on these kinds of topics.

Aargh, when you put it this way, DBJG seems better. I have trouble writing my own sentences sometimes due to the ordering but reading isnā€™t an issue.

Letā€™s say my ultimate goal is to be able to know enough Japanese to read light novels (I know thatā€™s very advanced and probably more difficult than everyday used Japanese), I donā€™t care if Iā€™m not able to write kanji or speak.

Then what would you say? Also, if you still think DxJG is better, then should I get all three parts? Or will the beginner and intermediate be sufficient, Iā€™ve heard the Advanced isnā€™t very useful unless youā€™re going for N1.

So youā€™re saying the Handbook actually does cover contractions? If so thatā€™s a good reason to have it since I havenā€™t found a good resource compiling the many contractions which are necessary for understanding common speech. Iā€™ve just had to pick them up one by one along the way.

Iā€™ve found lots of contractions and informal terms. Some of those go into the whole example sentences and explanation, but when itā€™s like the 3 version of the same expression you might be just refered to the original entry.

Iā€™ve found this extremely helpful when looking for missing grammar coming from my sentence mining routine (basically subtitles for dramas / animes) :+1:

I would have to agree with you though Iā€™m not at N1 level to comment fully. I can say Iā€™m at a N4/N3 level and my Advanced book is untouched at this point. Many of the example sentences are using a higher level vocabulary akin to higher education or a NHK newscast. Itā€™s certainly all valid for studying (since we must everything anyways) but you may find yourself just digesting the new vocab before you even get to understanding a new grammar point (as is my experience). Ironically, many grammar points repeat with just a higher level of subtly. Another strength of the DO_JG series are the intro of grammatical terms and special topics at the beginning covering a variety of useful topics (~70 pgs) and the appendix at the end which give a quick guide to each conjugation. Also, its just small enough to travel with for a quick reference. I think ā€˜Basicā€™ is the best even though the romanji is there. The intermed and advance are really an encore series because the first was such a success and also gives more depth. One last thing is that this series gives common ā€˜ungrammaticalā€™ examples which I found extremely useful because you may need a bilingual teacher fully explain why certain point donā€™t translate perfectly or why similar grammars point are not the same. That said, I plan on buying ā€˜A Handbookā€™ because I like how consolidated it is.

Iā€™ll add my 50p to the topic.

Iā€™ve been using DoxJG for several years in my studies. All in all itā€™s a great tool, really clear explanations, clean and easy to read page layout and comes with a lot of good example sentences. It also gives examples about how NOT to use certain grammar.
Having said that it also has flaws. The more significant in my opinion is the price and the fact that it comes in three volumes. Itā€™s really a chore to find what you are looking for and I find myself often jumping from volume to volume especially when a topic is shared across but with different usages. In the end I always find what I look for, but I feel like Iā€™ve spent too much time reading through the index. I would love to have a digitalised version with a search function.
Also some people donā€™t like the excessive romanisation, I personally donā€™t mind it as long as itā€™s functional.

I recently bought AHoJG and used it quite intensively. It easily overcomes the problems of DoxJG: itā€™s compact and in general the various entries seems more easy to find and read through. Plus, itā€™s cheap.
It also comes with its own flaws. In general the entries are less descriptive and come with less example sentences (examples of how something should not be done are gone).

Conclusion: I really like both. I usually use the handbook when I need something quick (most of the time) or if Iā€™m on the go and hand for the dictionary when I need more explanation on a particular topic or if something is so obscure that requires the advanced volume.

I would probably say, if you are just starting and you are on a budget, get the handbook and then slowly buy the dictionary volumes in order.

Otherwise, if you have enough disposable income, get all 4 books, youā€™ll not regret it :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: there are actually examples in the handbook on how not to use certain forms, but they seem less frequent.

4 Likes

I took the safe call and ordered the more popular DoxJG (all three), possible my biggest investment till now. As you say it goes into more detail as compared to the handbook. I donā€™t mind spending that extra time, I want to get a deep understanding of grammar, understand the subtleties and little nuances involved :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.