2000 kanji in 6 months (learning how to write)

https://kanjicards.org/kanji-list-by-freq.html

Tragically, the frequency list cited on WK Stats doesn’t seem to exist any more…

2 Likes

Also

NHK Easy News frequency source: https://gist.github.com/adrian17/836b97ee5740b20e63edbe35251d6bc1

Other frequency sources: https://github.com/scriptin/topokanji/tree/master/data/kanji-frequency

5 Likes

Congratulations on this! I know that many some people intend to get around to writing once they can read: it is nice to see that some people do!

6 Likes

Maybe Alaska?
During parts of the year it never turns dark

2 Likes

Oh wow! Nice work, bookmarking this :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, you’re ready to sign up for Kanken? :slight_smile:

8 Likes

To anyone who does practice writing Kanji, do you think there is any benefit to maybe drawing the radicals a few times when you get new ones, or would that screw up stroke order too much?

I used to looooooove to sleep in as well but I realized that my Japanese ability is rather strong in the morning while my brain is fresh. Being able to fit in 2 hours of Japanese study before your day even started is not bad :wink:

I’m honestly really interested in what they would think of me releasing this deck to the public since there seems to be people interested in it. I just don’t want to do anything that would be frowned upon by the WaniKani team.

…I guess, also, it does include a lot of non-wanikani items at this point…

I mean yeah, I don’t really see any big reason to learn handwriting at all. It just feels right for me to somehow to be able to write the language that you studied for so long I guess :rofl: I totally feel you

I bet there are kanji frequency lists floating around on the internet but I guess I should’ve said kanji up until lvl 45-ish since that’s what I thought of when writing that.

1500 commonly used and not “1500 most commonly used” :blush:

Sounds like a solid routine.
I can say that since I didn’t write at all during my WaniKani journey and therefore my kanji knowledge was a bit shaky at times. Writing kanji has for sure made it a lot more solid than ever before! :raised_hands:

I thought it would be interesting to share my experience since I do not see a lot of people speaking of reaching 2000 or beyond when it comes to writing (except for some RTK people).

Oh nooo, If I do Kanken it’ll have to be at least Level 2 and I don’t have all the Joyo kanji down just yet :thinking:
Did you take it? What was your experience if you did?
I never realised how poor my okurigana knowledge was until I began handwriting… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

I don’t know what you are referring to when asking if it would screw up stroke order or not?
I never practised radicals separately but it became second nature after learning how to write about 500 kanji or so. You start to understand patterns and stroke order even becomes something that you don’t have to actively care about as much.

6 Likes

Well, the link there is my Kanken thread. I’ve passed levels 5, 4, and 3 (last week).

Why wait for level 2? Just out of curiosity?

2 Likes

For some reason I’ve always had the Joyo kanji as my main goal when it comes to kanji reading and writing so anything below that would not satisfy me I guess :wink:

On a serious note though, I’ve never really been into Japanese language tests. I have very little interest in the JLPT or the Kanken in general. I think I would have to become extremely comfortable with the language before I ventured out into the world of Japanese exams. I would want to focus on becoming fluent before spending energy on studying for specific tests :blush:

I do admire and envy your Japanese knowledge, congratulations on passing Kanken 3! :raised_hands:

Edit: Ok I saw a more detailed list of what the different Kanken levels include and I’m scared and can’t see myself attempting anything near 2 anytime soon…

5 Likes

Totally, totally, totally agree. I only started seriously focusing on writing after my reading comprehension got better. Kudos to you for getting up an hour earlier, btw…I’m thinking about trying to become a morning person (by choice rather than necessity) because there’s a lot I could accomplish (including kanji practice), but the pull of my futon is always greater than the desire to be productive. Still, this thread is really motivational.

5 Likes

It is a little intimidating at first, but you can get used to the kind of questions over time.

But yeah, the vocab covered at level 2 seems pretty intense. I’m studying for level pre-2 now and I see new words all the time (but often I can read them).

3 Likes

You said it’s easier to learn to write once you can read. So I meant that while we are learning to read, do you think it would be beneficial to practice writing out the radicals as we go through WaniKani?

So instead of actually focusing on learning to write at my level (10) I just practice the 1-10 radicals and the new ones I then get when I level, so when I do hit level 60 and start to focus on writing, I will have already accumulated some knowledge/practice by writing out the radicals a bit.

As for the stroke order, I meant that there is no stroke order listed for radicals on WaniKani and many radicals are made up, so if I were just practicing writing out the radicals, it could screw me up when I start writing whole Kanji as they would have stroke orders I hadn’t learned.

1 Like

Just to preface, I never practised writing radicals separated from kanji. I only practised stroke order of kanji.

I would personally not worry about feeling the need to practice writing out radicals since once you start practising handwritten kanji, a lot of the early kanji are actually radicals as well.

一、乙、二、人、入、刀、力、十、又、九、口、土、夕、大、女、子、etc

Learning how to write these sort of fall into the category of “radical practice” without you noticing. You effortlessly gain a sense of “ah this is a radical cause it keeps appearing here in a lot of kanji”

女、好、始 all have the woman radical.

There is no harm in practising the radicals to lay a foundation before starting handwriting but I would only do it if it was something you found interesting and exciting :ok_hand:

Sounds really awesome! Congrats! Still on my “someday” list, though who knows when…

3 Likes

@heisamaniac Can you send me the your kanji deck please? as I would like to add wanikani sentences to my kanji deck as well.

Thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

hey Japan too! In summer you can enjoy the daylight from 4 a.m. :smiley:

This makes me want to do the same thing. Thank you for posting!

1 Like

I will think about it a bit more and if I decide to make it public, it’ll be up sometime during this week :ok_hand:

4 Likes

This is awesome >:0000 When I get to level 60 (I say “when” very confidently) then I wanna learn how to write at least most of the common ones as well! :DDDD

4 Likes