🔊 Listen Every Day Challenge - Spring 2024 🌸 🌈

2024-05-01

:previous_track_button: Previous | :house: Home post | Next :next_track_button:

Date Name Type Amount Time
2024-05-01 :chart_with_downwards_trend: コツ :spiral_notepad: Study :clipboard: 200 Items :hourglass: 0h20m
:speech_balloon: Japanese From Small Talk :headphones: Podcast :arrow_forward: 1 episodes
:vhs: 37
:hourglass_flowing_sand: 0h40m

More コツ, another 66% today so I guess at least I’m being somewhat consistent these last few days. Also another episode of Japanese from Small Talk. I was thinking when I’d filled in the gaps from their weird ordering, I’d try keep in order for the simple bookkeeping, and then I saw in the upcoming episodes that they just didn’t number some episodes so, I guess that’s out of the picture.

8 Likes

<< Prev

Q2 of 2024 | Week 5

5月2日 (木)

Daily brief x3

言語交換 #272 :teapot:

And this one

6 Likes

Today’s listening:

About names for vegetables and other foods found in the shops :tomato: :eggplant: :cucumber:

6 Likes

:headphones: Home post // May 2 :cherry_blossom: :rainbow:

Watched ep 1 + 2 of Jujutsu Kaisen. Episode 1 had a bunch of unknown words :skull: :pouting_cat:

7 Likes

2024-05-02

2024-05-02 :chart_with_downwards_trend: コツ :spiral_notepad: Study :clipboard: 200 Items :hourglass: 0h20m
:woman_elf: 葬送のフリーレン :tv: Anime :arrow_forward: 2 episodes
:vhs: 6-7
:hourglass_flowing_sand: 0h50m

Today had two more episodes of Frieren and some コツ practice. I thought the arc that is now starting in Frieren was much later from what I remember of the manga a few years ago, but maybe that’s just me misremembering.

Maybe I’ve just been prepped with a bunch of fantasy vocab now, or maybe it gets harder later, but so far the Frieren anime level of challenge is feeling more like ゆるキャン (level 23) than Log Horizon (level 31) in difficulty, despite being ranked level 28.

8 Likes

<< Prev

Q2 of 2024 | Week 5

5月3日 (金)

狼と香辛料 Vol.3 (4:30-4:52/9:46)

言語交換 #266

Actually now I am travelling in Japan, now somewhere near Hiroshima Peace Memorial. I still find listening difficult, though I might get somewhat better than the past. Not to mention speaking; I have no confidence to get away well and not wasting people’s time.

Truthfully about Chinese listening, I am not that good, pretty bad actually, but it’s alongside Japanese bilingual; and I am a little adventurous and no chance to look at the screen sometimes. I will try the related YouTube later.

8 Likes

Today’s vid -

About getting new glasses in Japan! :eyeglasses:

6 Likes

:headphones: Home post // May 3 :cherry_blossom: :rainbow:

Watched ep 12 of Spy x Fam season 2. Another series done! :sparkles:

Whoa, so that’s how they do an eye examination in Japan :eyes: Only refraction? (Measuring the power you need for your glasses/contact lenses.) And with a self-testing machine at that. I’ve tried one of those! The maker came to campus for exhibition. It had the option for Japanese language and it was very fun, I recommend (mainly for the fun, I’m not sure it is better than an actual person checking your eyes).

Seems like they use the Landolt ring chart instead of LogMAR chart (maybe because it’s easier to perform with the machine/joystick?). And it’s interesting how 1.5 index (屈折率) in their lenses is not even an option, it’s only from 1.6 and up (the bigger the number, the thinner the lens will become). Probably because most people in Japan have high refractive powers anyway? And the price is the same no matter which index it is? What! :eyes:

Hmm, it’s quite different from how it’s done in my country. Here we do more tests as a standard, like checking for binocular problems and general eye health. That’s the difference between being an optician and an optometrist. I get the impression you have to visit a 眼科 clinic if you want to get your eye health checked in Japan. I wonder if other stores does it differently or if the one in the video is pretty standard.

That reminds me, the maker of the self-check machine said that the waiting list time for eye health check is long in Japan, that’s why there’s a demand for just a refraction machine.

@Zakarius Thanks for sharing! It was very interesting :smiley:

6 Likes

<< Prev

Q2 of 2024 | Week 5

5月4日 (土)

言語交換ch on YouTube with bilingual JP-CN subtitle. It is in Japanese for Intro, but in Traditional Chinese for 文化衝撃. I don’t bother looking up vocabularies and characters, but it’s still easier to recognize words.

狼と香辛料 Vol.3 (4:52-5:35/9:46). End Ch.3

5 Likes

So much interesting eye-info!

It surprised me how much like a regular shop it seemed, I’ve seen another vid about glasses shopping in Japan and it seems that they have more like regular shop-shops for glasses that happen to have opticians on staff rather than visiting an optician and getting your glasses ordered from there (as seems to be pretty standard here in the UK, though not having to wear glasses I’ve never had to do it). I’m guessing you’re right with having to visit an actual clinic if you want a full eye-examination/eye-health-check, and that these shops are only if you already wear glasses/have a prescription?

I found that glasses-dispensing locker to be really cool, like some hidden unlockable in a video game that you have to search for clickable buttons in the correct sequence to open it :eyes:

Also on the off chance I come across one of those self-testing machines I’ll have to play with it in Japanese to see how fun it is :grinning:

5 Likes

2024-05-03 — 2024-05-04

2024-05-04 :woman_elf: 葬送のフリーレン :tv: Anime :arrow_forward: 2 episodes
:vhs: 10-11
:chart_with_downwards_trend: コツ :spiral_notepad: Study :clipboard: 200 Items :hourglass: 0h20m
2024-05-03 :woman_elf: 葬送のフリーレン :tv: Anime :arrow_forward: 2 episodes
:vhs: 8-9

The last two days I did two episodes a day of Frieren, and also today I did some コツ practice. Still hovering around the mid-60s in コツ.

6 Likes

<< Prev

Q2 of 2024 | Week 5

5月5日 (日)

言語交換ch on 縁起の悪い夢, first 7/25 min

狼と香辛料 Vol.3 (4:52-5:35/9:46)

A tip from Sora

6 Likes

2024-05-05

2024-05-05 :chart_with_downwards_trend: コツ :spiral_notepad: Study :arrow_forward: 200 Items :hourglass_flowing_sand: 0h20m
:imp: ロマンティック・キラー :tv: Anime
:durtle: (BAC)
:arrow_forward: 2 Episodes :hourglass_flowing_sand: 0h50m

Started watching the first anime of the beginner anime club and also did some コツ practice today.

7 Likes

:headphones: :loudspeaker: :cherry_blossom: :shamrock: April 16 - April 30

I haven’t been tracking but I’ve listened to something most days. I’ve listened to episodes #80 - #91 of Teppei for beginners as well as some random listening from Hakuoki VN and Atelier Meruru.

:headphones: :loudspeaker: :cherry_blossom: :shamrock: May 1 - May 5

Another Teppei for beginners episode, some listening from Hakuoki and Atelier Meruru, and random bits from various videogames while watching a Game Gengo video.

6 Likes

April 28-May 4

Good Morning Call, Grown Enough, and Daily Japanese with Naoko.

6 Likes

<< Prev

Q2 of 2024 | Week 6

5月6日 (月)

言語交換ch on 縁起の悪い夢, the remaining

狼と香辛料 Vol.3 (5:35-6:33/9:46)

2 documentary YouTube’s with JP sub

Revenge match of a company. Also saw the company’s logo :black_cat: :black_cat:, common enough, during travel.

5 Likes

:headphones: Home post // May 6 :cherry_blossom: :rainbow:

Watched episode 1 of Hibike! Euphonium season 3. There’s a Redglare-ppoi character there :eyes:

6 Likes

Today’s listening:

Business Japanese! …though more about words for things and actions you’d be doing at work rather than the super polite fortress level Japanese

5 Likes

2024-05-06

2024-05-06 :chart_with_downwards_trend: コツ :spiral_notepad: Study :arrow_forward: 200 Items :hourglass_flowing_sand: 0h15m
:speech_balloon: Japanese From Small Talk :headphones: Podcast :arrow_forward: 1 Episode
:vhs: 45
:hourglass_flowing_sand: 0h35m

Today was the usual コツ practice, and another episode of Japanese from Small Talk.

6 Likes

Today’s vid:

About spicy food in Japan :fire:
I need food now

5 Likes