魔女の宅急便・Kiki's Delivery Service 🧧 Repeat Club

So interesting to read this translation, because reading it in Japanese I imagine Kiki as a Japanese girl, and there are no saucers involved when drinking tea in Japan, so no clinking. Also, I never imagined the conversation to be that lively. :joy:

8 Likes

now I have to spend the money…evilness haha

edit- it worked…but can’t seem to figure out how to make the player slow down…but was successful in getting the mp3 files and the app seems to work ok also…

2 Likes

@shuly is correct, Audible bases its availability on address so you’d need a Japanese address on your Amazon account for it to work.
But audiobook.jp sounds like a pretty easy option, too!

2 Likes

Don’t forget the vocab sheet too!

7 Likes

Mp3 files you can download? No DRM? No VPN? No fake Japanese address? Foreign prepaid card works? Wow, that’s awesome.

I wasn’t planning on buying audiobook for this, but, just as @shuly, now I have to spend money because it’s so easy and nice and comfortable and I’m feeling moved. xD

2 Likes

I find it easier to select parts of the kanji in jisho than to draw it.

5 Likes

You can use a mp3 playing program to do that. On desktop I’m using MusicBee which has an audiobook preset, but the tempo controls are kinda obscure an inconvenient on that (in the equalizer section).

On mobile devices I haven’t looked for anything yet, but a search for audiobook player on android shows a bunch of options for mp3 players for audiobooks. Most of them seem to have tempo control. It’s likely to be the same on iOS.

Right? I was super surprised after I bought it when I got mp3 files. That’s something I would never expect in 2020. That and the ability to download without using their app. It’s great not to be forced to use yet another app.

7 Likes

Thanks @kmurgs and @slither for the heads up on the audiobook! I bought it today (the mp3 version) and listened to chapter 1. I haven’t started reading the book yet, but it’s far less daunting after hearing some of it! :sweat_smile:
Even at full speed I understood more than I thought I would, so I’ll probably be listening after reading each chapter to avoid spoiling my reading :laughing:

8 Likes

uhm, maybe it’s because I’m dumb, maybe because I’m blind but where is the headstart thread? Shouldn’t the start have been 3 days ago? I’m currently using the old thread for my reading but yeah, it’s not as interactive

1 Like

:see_no_evil: :hear_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:

don’t worry too much…there is no thread…which is why some of the random posts here…questions are held until when the club officially starts … then people will post up.

4 Likes

Same here. I’m reading (and looking forward to the discussion to come). But, with the old thread and the vocab list available, it’s at least much more doable than trying to read completely on my own.

DHL just shipped it let’s goooooooooo

I really gotta stock up on books next time I’m in Japan, these shipping costs are killer…

3 Likes

You’ve got to buy in bulk. It’s bad if you buy one book, not so bad if you buy 20.

3 Likes

Yea, I always have a shopping list compiled prior to each trip for that reason.

@slither Thank you for the link!

@Radish8 Maybe this could be added to the links at the top of this thread for obtaining the book in various formats.

I just bought it and downloaded the mp3 files. I am so happy to have this!

I’m listening to it on VLC media player, which has tempo controls. When played back at the slowest speed, the pitch accent becomes much easier to hear. (The narrator has an NHK standard accent.)

6 Likes

Sure, done. Let me know if there are other obvious publishers to link for the audiobook.

3 Likes

Yeah for sure, I could eat the costs this time around but I’m definitely keeping it mind for next time.

I had a second suitcase my first time there and was grateful I brought it, cause I completely filled it up haha. Thankfully there were no weight limitations…

2 Likes

Just got my book in the mail!

I thought it was the first edition which it seems close to, but the page numbers are slightly different. For example, chapter 1 starts on page 3 not page 9. It has the furigana and illustrations like V1 does. Maybe the hardcover edition’s page numbers are different?

Would it be possible to compare with someone who has the first edition with the correct page numbers? My hypothesis (and hope) is that the text on each page is the same, but they started the numbering later on this edition. If so, the last page of chapter 1 would look similar to this, only it would be on page 17.

It’d be great if this were the case just because then I’d only have to add 6 to the weekly page numbers to convert them so… :crossed_fingers:

Edit: I just realized I could check the starting page numbers for the other chapters… I feel dumb sometimes. I seems like the page numbers are indeed just off by 6.

8 Likes

Yep, can confirm! My v1 has exactly that text on p. 17. But I don’t have that super-cute pic, so I must say you chose well :slight_smile:

Fun fact: In my book, the text on column 2 and 3 is shifted by one character, the rest is identical :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Personally, both the times I’ve been, I just duck into every Book-Off I come across and see if there’s anything interesting in the 100-yen section.

My trick thus far has been to go in with one smaller suitcase, and find a cheap used suitcase halfway through the trip. This is something of a direct result of my tendency to go thrifting constantly while traveling, but you could always pick up an inexpensive suitcase from a Don Quixote.

4 Likes