霧のむこうのふしぎな町 | Week 2 Discussion 🌬 🏘

The good thing is that WK just became a little bit easier for you :wink:
housecounter

3 Likes

あの。。。。。

:rofl:

5 Likes

I know. I meant you are getting ahead of the curriculum :stuck_out_tongue:
Comes level 51, you’ll be like “what, 軒? That old thing? Pff, that’s so 2019”.

6 Likes

I’m gonna save this for all the books in 2020!!! (and 2021…im slow)…probably be another 1.5-2 years for level 60

1 Like

omg omg omg… I did it! a day early… whew!!! too bad there are more pages ahead haha… fingers crossed no painful dialect…but thought I’d share this last sentence with folks … this bit was sort of a mess to try to get back into natural English… all the pieces were there but I really think the English version of the book is translated extremely well…

Page 18 / p18 Last sentence of our reading this week...

のきの低い、かわら屋根の家がつづいている しずかな町だが、それでも 四、五人のひとすれちがった

I’ll leave it up to the individual to break this down appropriately, it wasn’t that hard and yeah the main verb was in the vocab sheet…if only I could have read it and typed it correctly the first time… it’s ち not ら…and not られ but れち…omg the horrors of parsing that mess… pickpockets and all… probably because I’m not level 51 yet and don’t know that fancy counter… hehe

anyway… I did find it hard to get this sentence in some sort of natural word order in English…but here is the last sentence from the official printed book from 2001…thought it would make a nice reprieve for those of us that struggled through this dialect…

Just in case you thought you could cheat…last time to try to figure it out …

It was a quiet little village, no more than a line of houses with low-eaved tile roofs, but even so, they ran into 4 or 5 people going the other way.

Full disclosure, my translation was not this elegant…but did get the understanding…so I call that a win :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well, now you get the kun’yomi as well! (のき, first word in the sentence, for those who are wondering).
軒 holds no more secrets for you.

2 Likes

And yet I don’t really know what “eaves” are, so I just remember のき as “house roof thing”.

5 Likes

“eaves” is either the bottommost edge of the roof (where the water runs down when it’s raining) or the gutter-thing that is affixed to said bottommost edge.

At least that’s what my English-German dictionary claims it to mean :smiley:

1 Like

8c68032ed7369133f2eb5988566fe6cb

Please do not confuse the “eaves drip” with the “eavesdrop”.

6 Likes

Google told me “the part of a roof that meets or overhangs the walls of a building” and showed pictures similar to that, but I’m sure I’ll forget again soon enough.

2 Likes

Unless you are talking to contractor about your roof replacement, or work as such contractor, that is not a word in your active vocabulary.

2 Likes

This reminds me of when I found a picture of a gun with the parts labeled in Japanese for キノの旅.

5 Likes

Haha this is hilarious! It’s a word in my vocabulary… Guess growing up with my grandparents it was used by them a lot… Every year hanging xmas lights on the eves… I had no idea it wasn’t a common word. Guess I’m getting old lol

2 Likes

When I did a Google search for “eavesdrop etymology” (out of curiosity), it says “from the obsolete noun eavesdrop ‘the ground on to which water drips from the eaves’” (bold emphasis mine).

Is it really that obsolete in this use? When it’s raining lightly, but there’s heavy water dropping off the roof that one has to pass through when going in or out of the house, that spot’s always been (part of) the “eavesdrop” for me. And here it sounds like it was likely obsolete before I was even born!

1 Like

Well I think nowadays houses have gutters, don’t they? (At least in Germany, even the very old ones…)

3 Likes

Fun fact, I learned the English word “eaves” from のき as well.

Also @ChristopherFritz so that’s what shingles are.

4 Likes

Some houses, the roof goes in a _/\_ shape over the front door, and there are no gutters there. Why would they do that where people are going in and out of the house? I have no clue.

It’s also a medical condition.

6 Likes

I learn something new every day :joy_cat:

7 Likes

Oh god, do not google image search on that.

6 Likes

Thread officially derailed lol!

5 Likes