間 but it's not written that way?

So I started playing around with writing a little tampermonkey script to show me the normal font but also a handwritten font next to it so I could see both and start training my eyes to better read what I can only see as a garbled mess, when this popped up on me.

When I said “Wtf is this” out loud, my wife said she only ever writes it the way it is on the bottom. Looked it up on jisho and it’s not in the alternative forms. What gives? Is this just some random “cursive”-ish thing that needs to be learned? Are there a ton of these? lol

5 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

It’s a 略字.

In practice, that’s probably the most common 略字 shape there is. But you could see others.

17 Likes

Perfect. That’s what I was looking for. Now I can dig in deeper. Thanks, Leebo!

My favorite 略字 is 魔, where everything inside is discarded and replaced with マ, the kanji’s reading.

5 Likes

That depends on what you’re going to be reading. If you need to read a lot of your wife’s handwritten notes it sounds like it might be handy; but if you’re going to be reading almost entirely printed texts then I’d say there are probably more useful things to spend time on right now. It might be worth checking whether this “handwritten” font is taking the style a bit further than you need.

1 Like

That exact ryakuji shows up in Yotsubato, sooo…

3 Likes

Really? I’ve read Yotsuba, and didn’t notice it at all. (Which feels to me like an argument for not bothering to explicitly learn the ryakuji…)

1 Like

So I ended up putting a more pen-ish handwriting-styled font on top so I could see a bit more of a cursive style and compare it to the print version + the brush looking one. A couple interesting ones I found:

Both of these fonts use this particular ryakuji for 前

Both use a single line in the middle of the left hand radical in 船 instead of the two separate strokes.

Another one they both did that I forgot to take a screenshot of was 風 looking like this:

Makes me wonder if these are still fairly common or if these fonts are just seeing how many they can use. lol

4 Likes