銭天堂 | Week 6 Discussion

One more question /o/
On 39% there’s this sentence: 「ホーンテッドアイス」と、おどろおどろしい字がはりついたふたを、ぱかりとあけた。

I can’t find anything about ぱかり, it seems that it’s connected to opening all the time, but I have no final conclusion, so any help is appreciated /o/

Edit: Can it be ぱっくり? :thinking:

Maybe. I also thought it might be based on パカパカ, which Jisho says means “clip-clop; clippety-clop”, which I think could describe the sounds of the lid being taken off the container.

1 Like

Yeah, I was wondering about that one. The closest thing that seems to make sense that I found was ぱか which is an onomatopoeic word for opening the lid of a container:

I am not really sure about the りと part though. I could swear I’ve seen it added as a suffix in various onomatopoeic words, but I can’t seem to find any explanations or examples at the moment =._.=

3 Likes

と is how those kind of words are connected. I think it’s actually the quoting particle, though I’m not sure (since it represents a sound, etc., you’re “quoting” the sound.)

@Carvs posted some “rules” about how you can “build” mimetic words, and one of those is that you can add り/ん/っ, so that’s definitely what’s going on here.

That’s how I got from ぱかりと to ぱかぱか. It looks to me like what you found is the same word, too.

3 Likes

To add to that, quoting from Hamano (hiragana mine):

/N/ (ん) indicates that the action involves elastic objects or is accompanied by a reverberation.
/Q/ (っ) on the other hand indicates that the movement is carried out forcefully or vigorously in a single direction.
/-ri/ (り) […] indicates ‘quiet ending of the movement.’

So yeah I agree it’s probably ぱか (single movement as opposed to ぱかぱか multiple movements) + り (she didn’t tear it away forcefully but opened it quietly) IMHO.

3 Likes

Wheee, here I go!

4 Likes

Slowwly making my way through this (Thanks everyone for the notes you’ve left. :slight_smile:)

I’ve seen とき used a few times in a way that I don’t quite understand, for example on page 55:

一歩一歩すすんでいたときだった

Also back on page 50:

恐怖のあまり、気絶しそうになったときだった

My understanding is that ときだった means approximately “it was a time when ~”. But that translation feels awkward for both of these sentences. Is there a different sense that applies here? Thanks!

(My apologies if this makes no sense because I have no context at all…)

Would the translation be more plausible if you phrased it as “at the time when ~” or simply “when ~”?

https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-grammar/time-clauses/

3 Likes

I could swear that we talked about this construction at some point but I can’t remember which thread and I can’t find it. D: Basically, from what I remember, we decided it was kind of a suspense-building technique. In English it would be more like “Right when X was happening…something else happened! (:scream:)” It translates awkwardly because in Japanese, the first part is its own separate sentence, whereas in English, it probably wouldn’t be (or it would end with an ellipsis, rather than a period).

So it is using the “at the time when” meaning - just imagine an ellipsis at the end of the sentence. “It was at the time when X was happening…when (whatever’s in the next sentence happened)”

3 Likes

That makes sense, thanks so much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hah, only took me nine months to get back to this…

5 Likes