来 Pronunciation question

You know what bugged me a lot in a similar way? 取り引き. I learned it by ear from anime and remembered it as とりしき, because that’s how I always heard it. When I saw it’s actually とりひき I was extremely surprised, and went on a Google spree about Japanese phonetics, aspiration, palatalization, and other such concepts.

My Japanese teacher, who’s a native of Okayama, who isn’t very fond of Tokyo, likes to say that people who speak Tokyo dialect suck at pronouncing し and ひ, meaning that they mix them up. Not sure how serious he was being, but he said Tokyoites say things like コーシー instead of コーヒー and crazy stuff like that.

Rosetta Stone does this with ひと. 男の人 comes out like otoko-noshi-to. I suspect this is a very relaxed tokyo dialect pronunciation of it.

Yeah, ひと seems to follow the same pattern. I wonder why though…

1 Like

Anyone wondering about 化ける? There is no way in hell he is saying 「ばける」 …

I don’t hear a problem with it.

I could swear he is saying あける, there is no trace of ‘b’ in it.

1 Like

I disagree? shrug

1 Like

I hear the ば as well

Do we get the same audio? :blush: This one: Audio

Sure, if you tell me to imagine he’s saying あける I can imagine that. He’s certainly not playing up the b.

If you told me it was a little bit clipped off, I’d believe you. But I hear it as ばける fine.

2 Likes

A family was visiting Hawaii. The father went up to an older native guy and said, "I really love it here! Everything is so beautiful and all, but I have one question: is it pronounced ‘Ha-Wah-ee’ or “Ha-vah-ee’?”
The guy said, “Ha-vah-ee.”
The father said, “Thank you!”
Hawaiian, “You’re velcome!”

3 Likes

Oh. “b” sound is kind of off, yeah? The pitch sounds correct, but I don’t hear the “b.” We need to fix it. Thanks for the catch!

1 Like

I for one can absolutely say we didn’t take a class in different accents. Hell, the bare minimum to pass high school was Spanish 1… a semester of basic Spanish. The bar was not set very high for foreign languages in the USA.