拾 kanji -- add シュウ / ジュウ onyomi to 'shake' rather than redflag

Currently 拾 kanji does not ‘shake’ when onyomi entered rather than kunyomi.

Read in another feedback WK should be more strict on vocab by limiting possible answers to one… but this is a kanji review question – thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Some times the kanji review sections want the kunyomi over the onyomi.
I just did a quick search so I could be wrong but it seems that the onyomi is not as common/frequent as the kunyomi usage so WK doesn’t teach it.

The reason it doesn’t shake is because if you look at the kanji page on WK the onyomi isn’t listed. So entering anything other than ひろ is considered wrong.

1 Like

If a reading is missing they’ll add it to the page if you email them about it.

6 Likes

I think the problem is that it shouldn’t be considered wrong, since it’s a possible reading for the Kanji. It should just shake and ask for the taught reading.

2 Likes

In this case I would say it is fine to add an exception to this character in the background to warn the user. The problem is if we continue this trend with all characters then the outliers like 生 would have a multitude of readings.

For this we really have to pick our battles with existing readings versus readings that are common/used/usual/etc. I mainly think it is left out due to obscurity versus an over site but I could be wrong.

While not an equivalent example, I’m not going to expect WK to warn me that it isn’t looking for the reading of な for 花 when it isn’t usual reading for that character but it could be one. Like I said this isn’t really equivalent because my example comes from a name.

Where do you see な as a reading for 花

For reference

https://www.kanjipedia.jp/kanji/0000645600

What gets classified as on or kun can be pretty strict. And beyond that, some stuff isn’t joyo.

しゅう and じゅう are both joyo readings for 拾

https://www.kanjipedia.jp/kanji/0003107600

1 Like

As I said not the best equivalent because it comes from a name 雪花 read as ゆな. Was trying to think of a better example but was at work. I’ll try and think of a better example later of what I was trying to communicate.

Edit: While I also know name kanji reads are kind of what ever you want them to be I will still try and think of a better example.

Well, whether it’s a nanori reading or just people doing whatever they want with names (which would be my guess there), yes, it’s true that we wouldn’t expect WK to shake for that kind of reading.

I think, with 拾 and the two readings mentioned, adding them is appropriate because they are joyo readings. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that only joyo readings should be on the site, but I could imagine someone taking that position.

Obviously that joyo-only rule would only apply to things that don’t appear in vocab, because there’s a bunch of non-joyo content in the vocab already.

2 Likes

Right! Thanks! :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.