夜カフェ ☕ Chapter 11 (Beginner Book Club)

Oh my apologies then, I must have looked up the wrong word.

3 Likes

Finally, my last batch of questions! I’m through with this chapter! :smiley:

ebook page 131:

• みんな、いろんなことがあって、生きているんだなって思う。
    Everyone has lots of things going on and is living with those things, I think.”?

ebook page 133:

• そこなのよね~。
    Thanks for all the hiragana, but… what?
  • でも、まったくもらわないっていうのも、もしも人数が増えていったとき、続けられなくなる可能性もある。
    • Is っていうのも = という + の (?) + も (also) = “…would also mean that”?
    • What is the の in there?
  • おれだって、愛子さんが食費もなにもいらないって言うから、ちょっとえんりょしてたんだ……。
    Is that 食費もなにもい “neither food expenses nor anything (else)”?

ebook page 134:

• わたしたち、クラス別々だからすぐに連絡取れるようにしようよ。」
    Is that も “even”? “We’re even in different classes”?

ebook page 135:

• でも、なんだかわたしの人生が変わるような予感さえするの。
    Is that さえ? “Now I even have a premonition that my life is going to change”?
  • ちょっとドジなところね!
    Is that も an “even if”?
New grammar I found

ebook page 131:

• 外から見ただけじゃわからない。
    じゃ/では = “with (just) that”, I think
2 Likes

I agree with your interpretation of the sentence.

My understanding is that can be split like this:

そこ => that
なの => explication-tone の
よね => emphasis + confirmation sentence enders

My attempt to translate this in more normal English would be “Well yeah, that’s the thing”. Here they are talking about whether they should have the kids pay for the food or not. So this そこなのよね is basically stating that part of the plan is indeed an issue - then proceeds to explain why in the next sentence.

My interpretation is the following:

まったくもらわない => Not receiving (payment) at all
って => informal version of と, the quoting particle.

“Not receiving at all”

いう => 言う to say

Say “not receiving at all”

の => Normalizer particle の, turns the preceding verb into a noun.

(The act of) saying “Not receiving (payment) at all”

も => Not sure about this one, but I feel this is the topic-inclusion particle も (something like “also” in this case).

So basically, this sentence is considering the scenario of them stating that they are not going to charge the kids for the meal. "if we say that we are not going to charge anything, that also … " The も at the end is adding to the current topic - they don’t want to charge the kids but doing that has also its own problems, which are mentioned in the rest of the sentence - that they might have so many kids they are unable to continue.

Yes, that’s how I understood that sentence too.

I think “even” is a good translation there, yes. My understanding is that this is again the topic-inclusion marker も. So クラスも states that, including other things their classes are different.

3 Likes

I don’t really disagree with your

lovely breakdown:

But I think we often get hung up on actually translating って言う, when it often is just there to help nominalise the preceding phrase–like turning the verb into a gerund (-ing form) I English. It’s more grammar than actual word, and you can just leave it out in the translation to get a less awkward English sentence that seems a bit closer to the Japanese meaning.

i.e.って言うの= (no translation needed in English. Most of the time.)

The harder part is that when people talk in Japanese, they often leave off the predicate if it can be inferred, and that seems to be happening in the first part of the sentence:

でも、まったくもらわないっていうのも、もしも人数が増えていったとき、続けられなくなる可能性もある。

"but not charging anything [is] also [a problem]…if we get more people, we might not be able to keep it up "

4 Likes

Haha. I would’ve never arrived there, despite it being made of such (relatively) simple components. Thanks! (And also thanks for the other answers, they really help!)

Oooh, I didn’t know about that nuance.

How would that sentence look like with the predicate?

2 Likes

I think the sentiment is something like this:

2 Likes