|Week 6||8 January 2022|
Please remember to set this thread to “watching” in order to stay abreast of the discussion.
- I’m reading along
- I’ll catch up soon
- I’ve read this already but I’m here for discussion
- I have no intention of catching up or the club has already finished, but I’m using the forums as reference
Anybody should feel free to add to the vocab sheet. Read the guidelines on the first sheet- even if a word is not yet included you can use the spreadsheet as a tool to get help.
Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.
- Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
- Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
- Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as such.
Feel free to use these questions as a framework or a starting point for responses. I also encourage people to post their own discussion questions!
What sentence/passage gave you the most difficulty? Feel free to request some help, or if you figured it out on your own break it down for the rest of us!
What was your favorite new vocab word from this week’s reading?
Was there any passage that you found particularly intriguing? Did it resonate with you (either positively or negatively)? Was it surprising? Offer any insight or new perspective? Was it just beautifully written?
What do you know about Japanese funeral traditions? How do they compare to your native country’s? How do Natsuki’s thoughts and behavior at the funeral reveal more of her character?
How is Natsuki’s father’s character developed in this section?
What factors drove Natsuki to make her request to Yuu? Given her situation, does this seem like a reasonable course of action?