|Week 11||12 February 2022|
Please remember to set this thread to “watching” in order to stay abreast of the discussion.
- I’m reading along (I’ve read no further than the end of this week’s section)
- I’m reading ahead (I’ve read beyond the end of this week’s section)
- I’ll catch up soon (I haven’t yet finished last week’s section)
- I’ve read this book already but I’m here for discussion
- I have no intention of catching up or the club has already finished, but I’m using the forums as reference
Anybody should feel free to add to the vocab sheet. Read the guidelines on the first sheet- even if a word is not yet included you can use the spreadsheet as a tool to get help.
Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネトバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.
- Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
- Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
- Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) need to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as such.
Feel free to use these questions as a framework or a starting point for responses. I also encourage people to post their own discussion questions!
What sentence/passage gave you the most difficulty? Feel free to request some help, or if you figured it out on your own break it down for the rest of us!
What was your favorite new vocab word from this week’s reading?
Was there any passage that you found particularly intriguing? Did it resonate with you (either positively or negatively)? Was it surprising? Offer any insight or new perspective? Was it just beautifully written?
Do you believe that Yuu actually hates Natsuki? Why might this be the case?
Once again we see significant differences between Natsuki and her husband even though they both share the same “宇宙人の目”. Aside from wanting to be brainwashed, how does Natsuki’s worldview contrast with Tomoya’s?
Why is Tomoya able to get along so well with Natsuki? Why is he able to get along so well with Yuu?
In what ways could somebody go about becoming an “alien” in the eyes of society without hurting others? Would there be anything wrong with such behavior?