可愛いだけじゃない式守さん・ Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie ❤️‍🩹 (Absolute Beginner Book Club) - On Week 12!

With that, I’ll assume that everyone is happy with the schedule, and if someone is not, they can still complain for quite a bit, but I’ll put it into the first post a bit later

6 Likes

There is also an app called kanji lookup (at least for iOS, I think there is for android as well) that works really well to search for a kanji even if you don’t know the stroke order. I’ve had an easier time than using the jisho one (maybe I’m using it wrong, idk).

1 Like

Jisho one isn’t great. I usually just use the gboard handwritten input if I need to do that

1 Like

@ChatterBox You win, I’m joining.

I managed to get it as a gift so I don’t have an excuse anymore

3 Likes

Huzzah! Happy you are joining. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yesss, looking forward to checking it out.
:unamused: I’m still salty that Hananoi-kun didn’t win

1 Like

you make it sound like I bullied you into it :face_holding_back_tears:

Anyway, Yay! Glad you decided to join

1 Like

No no, it was just your charm

1 Like

Hello everyone. I plan to join in and this will be the first manga that I attempt, so I’m pretty excited. I’m roughly halfway through the tango N5 book and will likely only be level 5 (close to 6) here on WK once the start date rolls around, so I expect it’s going to be quite the challenge. I’ll do my best to keep up!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and thank all of you helping run this since I know from participating in similar types of book clubs in another foreign language that I’ve since learned to fluency that it takes real work to organize, create a vocab list, and moderate these types of things, but they are immensely helpful.

It’s very much appreciated.

13 Likes

Hey, welcome to the club, don’t be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck. We are here for a reason :wink:

kép
Feels lonely

4 Likes

It’s your sign to dive into the Advanced Book Club. :wink:

3 Likes

Jokes aside, oftentimes the advanced book club covers material I’m just not interested in. The single time I joined the intermediate book club (succesfully, spy x family also existed) was when it aligned pretty well with my tastes (or so I thought, I do believe a lot of people remember the “All the you’s I’ve loved before” book club). I’ve probably read advanced level books before, just not with a club. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

Aye, ditto. For me, most of the Advanced club’s picks are in the “don’t really feel like reading” basket rather than the “too hard” basket.

3 Likes

I hadn’t done the polls, so I was going to click to join you on IBC.

But then I remembered that I’m almost halfway through the first volume of 風の谷のナウシカ, which I started with the ABC until I got too busy to keep at it (like, a week in…)

And that’s enough to qualify for “I’ve joined … before”.

3 Likes

howdy! I have not done a book club before and I was delighted to see that one is starting soon so I can hop on. my JPN knowledge is all over the place, as I am lvl 28 on wnkn, went through both genki textbooks (admittedly several years ago), and listen to nihongo con teppei fairly regularly. I I still feel like I struggle a lot with grammar, and I want to consume native material so I feel like gunning for the easiest bookclub first might give me a fighting chance of sticking with it

12 Likes

Welcome to the club! It really is an amazing resource, and I hope you get as much out of it as I have!

5 Likes

Decades worth of PTSD every time you see a poll tie?

4 Likes

Maybe not everything I’ve gotten out of it. :joy:

1 Like

Hello here :wave:
I’ve got my paper and my digital copy and I’m really looking forward to get started !

7 Likes

There’s only like 51 hours left for me until Saturday :eyes: though I might just post it a couple hours early, people tend to like that

1 Like