三ツ星カラーズ — Week 15 Discussion (ABBC)

I cannot believe that I managed to finish a native Japanese book! Thanks to everyone for their help. I feel like reading has really improved my retention of a lot my studying. Right now, I trying to power through 🐉 極主夫道 ・The Way of the Househusband, Volume 1 (Beginner Book Club) because I bought the first three issues after seeing the Netflix version, but never managed to get very far with them. Making it through 三ツ星カラーズ with all of you has given me a lot more confidence. So far I made it through the first couple chapters and just having the old threads to read through is super helpful.

Looking forward to Happiness Volume 1 (Absolute Beginner Book Club). I hope to see you all there!

11 Likes

Thanks @ChristopherFritz for nominating the book and running a fantastic book club. From the little things like the extra flourishes in the vocab spreadsheet, to the detailed grammar explanations and motivational posts, you really did a lot and we all appreciated it!

Thanks too to everyone who posted questions, answers, and added to the vocab sheet. And not to forget the real world locations! It’s been a fun and active book club. Great to see people finishing their first Japanese book!

11 Likes

Yay! Feel free to post new questions in that thread. Many of us are still around, since we’re currently reading the second volume.

4 Likes

Finished the last chapter! I have a few questions left:

Page 132

I’m not sure, if I interpret this conversation correctly. On the previous page Yui clearly wants to leave and go somewhere else because Sacchans discussion about poop is too much for her. So on this page I’m now wondering about こわい and if it’s meant to mean 怖い (scary) or 強い (stiff). I think that Kotoha is probably referring to the place being scary (怖い), but then Yui probably misinterpreted it due to her discomfort, which is why she answers that she is not stiff (強い) and behaves normally. Did I understand correctly?

Page 138

I’m not sure what おやじ is saying here and who is talking in the bold letters. I think the geezer is saying: It’ for the sake of the kids. You know that you’ll get trouble. Does he imply that if the Colors don’t have something to do they will bother Saitou? Or is it more of a threat: The geezer will bring troubles to Saitou? And then I believe Saitou Saitou (?) answers: I know! You’ll be trouble! Or is he referring to the colours? So: I know! They are troubles!

Page 140

Page 140

What does すか mean here? I found that it can express disappointment, but I don’t think that this is the case here… Also: What is the geezer answering? I pretty lost on the first part… I also don’t know what to do with ただ. The only thing I understand ist 青を切ると… :sweat_smile: Someone help please!

Lastly, I also want to thank everyone for posting and answering questions! Although this manga was not my cup of tea I still enjoyed reading it with all of you! Thanks to @ChristopherFritz, you’ve been a wonderful host! :smiley:

9 Likes

Nah, just stick with the obvious. Kotoha: “Ah, are you scared?” Yui: “I… I’m not scared. I’m normal.”

This one’s a bit sneaky - turns out that 知ったことか is actually a set expression. Oyaji: “It’s for the sake of the children. Do you think I care if you get troubled?” Saito: “You should care! You’re the one causing trouble!”

ですか. It’s するんですか abbreviated.

するわけないだろ. The echo of the する from Saito’s question is meant to reference the entire sentence - that is, ホントに爆発するわけないだろ - there’s no way it would explode for real.

“However” or “nevertheless”.

14 Likes

Whoo-hoo! Sliding into home base comes Ocean! I’m finally caught up with you all!

Sorry to be missing for the last few weeks. I got busy, but really wanted to finish up this week with you all, so I powered through four weeks worth of reading today. That was… a lot! Probably not the best idea, I’m sure I missed some stuff, but I’m glad to be here.

Thank you to everyone! And thanks to @ChristopherFritz for hosting! I really appreciate it, and you were all a big help to me in understanding this. It was a lot more enjoyable than had I read through it alone. This is the first native manga I’ve started that I actually finished, so thanks again!

What are your plans for volumes 2 through 8?

If an offshoot club starts I would like to join. While this isn’t my favorite series, I think it was an appropriate reading level and provided good study material. Now that I’m used to the characters, I expect continuing will be easier. It was enjoyable reading together with you all.

8 Likes