コンビニ人間: Week 6 Discussion

Oof, I felt like I flying through the first couple of pages, with entire parts of the dialogue that I could read without looking anything up.

And then I hit this monster of a sentence.

そこに、反論に対する怯えや警戒、もしくは、反発してくるなら受けてたってやるぞという好戦的な光が宿っている場合もあれば、無意識に見下ろしているときは、優越感の混ざった恍惚とした快楽でできた液体に目玉が浸り、膜が張っている場合もある。

(edit: fixed typo above)

Feeling the need to break it down, mostly because of it’s length - and if I’m going to go through the trouble of doing it part by part, might as well do it here!

Here we go...

Previous sentence for context:
何かを見下ろしている人は、別に目の形が面白くなる。
= As for people who look down a something, they will have a particularly interesting eye shape?

そこに = there
反論に対する怯えや警戒 = Fear of rebuttal and vigilance
もしくは = otherwise
発表してくるなら = if they continue to announce
反発してくるなる = If they are given opposition
受けてたってやるぞ = to accept the challenge, I’ll (?) do
という好戦的な光が = belligerent light which say
宿っている to remain
場合もあれば = situation may arise
無意識に見下ろしているときは = Times which look down unconsciously
優越感の混ざった恍惚とした快楽で = Pleasure comprising of ecstasy mixed with a sense of superiority (is this one of those の marks the subject situations?)
できた = to be made
液体に = fluid (is this a metaphor?)
目玉が浸り = eyeballs become immersed
膜が張っている場合もある = Situation in which a film forms may arise

Here is my best go:
There, a fear of rebuttal or perhaps vigilance, or else, if given opposition If they continue to announce (?) there might remain a belligerent light which say “I’ll accept the challenge”, and as for times in which those eyes look down unconsciously, the eyeballs become immersed in a fluid made from pleasure comprising of ecstasy mixed with a sense of superiority, this situation, in which a film forms, may also arise.

Oof, I think I kind of get it but this has been one of the toughest sentences I’ve broken down in a while - it’s not even because of the grammar, it’s how the whole thing flows together. The whole logic of the sentence still somewhat escapes. Input welcome :slight_smile:

9 Likes