よつばと! Vol 2 Discussion Thread (Yotsuba&! Reading Club)

(Sorry for the late reply)

Yes, I had noticed that this was the second time it had been worded that way, but I had thought the mother was being very explicit to a young child who frequently doesn’t understand stuff kids her age should, but as the girls are more chatty with Yotsuba, the second occurrence seemed more odd to me, prompting the question.

Just on a side note, even though I’m only 4 lvls higher in WK than when this group started, I’m already noticing I can understand things more readily, and doing the reading with this group is helping to consolidate the kanji and vocab. Yay!! :smiley:

3 Likes

What is this でけーの thing that Yotsuba keeps saying? (p. 141, p. 144)

1 Like

でかい in Shitamachi dialect. = “Huge!”

2 Likes

p. 146, Fuuka says: 今日も元気アマリリスだねー
What the heck is this アマリリス? The only definition I find is amaryllis, which is some obscure flower… and that doesn’t fit here at all…

3 Likes

Ah, I should have tried that… words that end in けー are often a casual form of かい (and similarly げー → がい, etc.). I had forgotten that! Thanks for the help.

1 Like

The reading pack has it as amaryllis and notes that it symbolises pride, determination, and radiant beauty, but there is no explanation as to what it is doing in that sentence…:thinking:

2 Likes

That’s exactly what Google was telling me.

I feel like from the context that it may symbolise vigour in Japan, but I’ve got no citations to back that up. I read it as “You’re as energetic as an amaryllis today as well.”

2 Likes

On p. 141 panel 2, I get the gist of what Miura is saying, namely “Well, I need to go home for a sec, but after that let’s go see Ena together” but I don’t understand 恵那んち行くかー . What’s the んち all about?

2 Likes

恵那んち = Ena’s house :slight_smile:
According to this link.
Short for 〜の家 (~no uchi)

3 Likes

Short for 恵那の内?

家 can also be read as うち.

For a while I’ve thought it had to be your house to avoid the いえ reading, but it looks like the characters in Yotsuba all use うち or ち for short. Is it based on the speaker’s familiarity of the house in question?

1 Like

内 showed up first so I left it. :smiley:

1 Like

Haha, gotcha. :slight_smile: It does for my IME too.

2 Likes

Not usually advisable. :stuck_out_tongue:

According to the Wiki on 花言葉, アマリリス means ‘shy’ - perhaps Fuuka is being facitious?

2 Likes

If you click on アマリリス it says: In the Victorian Language of Flowers (see Plant symbolism), amaryllis means “pride”.

But I wanted to learn Japanese, not about the language of flowers.

Then again, this is the country of 花見, so perhaps flowers will be important to study anyway.

1 Like

Yeah, but… they don’t even speak the Victorian language in Japan. Much less the Victorian Language of Flowers.

1 Like

True. Perhaps Fuuka is well versed in flower language.
Either that, or a mistake from someone’s part. .-. Either Fuuka or the author.

Just ran this past the wife, and she has no idea what Fuuka is on about with this アマリリス comment!
Then I asked the wife about Fuuka’s 風 t-shirt. If it has any particular significance. No joy there either!

1 Like