よつばと!Vol 1 Discussion Thread (Beginner's Book Club)

Just finished the first read through of 第1語. My initial impressions are positive. Having illustrations really does help with comprehension. I really enjoy the energy and pacing. I can almost feel the endless supply of energy よつば generates. Now time to grind through and really get the understanding down. Looking forward to more!

2 Likes

In my copy that is on page 48. And thank you so much for asking about it, and thank you so much for the reply fl0rm, all of this is great fun and (I hope!) helping me a lot!

Can I just check my understanding?
Page 18, first bubble:
じゃあ私探してきましょうか
じゃあ - well then
私 - I (I love how this girl speaks! So lovely and clear!)
Then we have the て form of 探す - to search for
Then we have き from the verb 来る - to come
Finally, the ending ましょうか - shall I?

My problem is why is she using 来る - “shall I come and search for her?” instead of 行く - “shall I go and look for her?”. The only thing I can come up with is something like "shall I go and look for her [and bring her back here]?’ but I’m not sure about that. Any ideas anyone?

1 Like

て+くる can have a few differnt meanings. In this case it means “do action and come back” like you were thinking! (Well then, shall i look for her (and come back after)?)

If you are with a group and go to the toilet you would use “トイレに行ってきます” which is the same grammar, meaning you go to the toilet and then come back to the same place. Same grammar also that you use when you leave the house: 行ってきます! (I’m going out (and will come back!))

8 Likes

Wow, that is fantastic! Thank you downtimes for a wonderful explanation and examples. I’m very grateful!

Is this itself a shortened/adapted form of 出て来る or is it a separate expression with sometimes-similar meaning?

I’m guessing it’s special, because of how it’s described in Other uses of the te-form – Learn Japanese

In my opinion 出て行く and 出て来る are two common expressions formed with the て+ いく and て+くる.
These two forms can be used with many verbs and basically mean “Do action and come” or “Do action and go”.

4 Likes

That makes sense. So 出て来る is a semi-conjugated form of 出す出る and not the other way around. It seems a lot easier to think of it that way, too.

My understading is that :

出て is the ~て form of 出る, the instransitive verb “To exit, to leave”

出す is the transitive verb “To take out(something)”

1 Like

I’ll add that 出す in ~て form is 出して

2 Likes

Derp, yeah, 出す was an autocompletion error. I have no idea how I didn’t catch it before posting. Editing the post now to avoid confusing others.

If I understand, wouldn’t it be easier to just think of those constructions as following from using -て form to connect ideas rather than as seperate grammar points? てくる Is no different grammatically than something like て寝る, like in 晩ご飯をたべて寝る. Very common but not fundamentally different

I thought maybe the え was supposed to be へ . I’m pretty sure the proper particle here should be を though。

On page 7 in the last bubble the dad says 学校だ学校。I’m guessing he’s just repeating himself and leaving off the second だ. Is there anything more to it than that?

The thing with “very common” expressions, which is why I wanted to ask about this one specifically, is that they have a way of losing their kanji in writing and just being a reflexive thing someone says. Experienced speakers probably don’t even think of it in terms of its original form; I keep running into stuff like this and it’s sometimes hard to figure out how it came to be.

We’ve already seen similar contractions just becoming kana elsewhere in this thread with って being used as a quotation pseudo-particle, among other examples.

Nope, that’s all it is.

“It’s a school. A school.” is a very literal translation. “It’s just a school.” might be a more meaning-matched way to interpret it.

I think that’s just like saying “It’s a school. It’s a school…” in English. He’s just repeating himself for emphasis. A second だ was probably just dropped since it wouldn’t really add any meaning.

1 Like

On page 11 in the top left panel Jumbo says あーあいつ用が入ったからこねぇって。I’ve figured this one out for myself, but took a little digging so thought I’d parse it out in case it helps anyone else.

One point that helped me was to realize that 用が入った is more commonly 用事が入った which literally translates to a task was entered (into planner), but is a set phrase that really means something came up.

The other big help was to realize that こねぇ was a rough way of saying 来ない。The って then being the shortened quotation indicator.

19 Likes

Pretty sure the え is small (こねぇ)

1 Like

Yeah, I changed it. Thanks.