よつばと!Vol 1 Discussion Thread (Beginner's Book Club)

That’s really useful! Wonderful explanation (and link), thank you so much!

Me too, I asked the wife. It was she who told me you can do any combination! So the weekend is 土日 (どにち), Monday and Tuesday is 月火, and so on. Any combination!

1 Like

On page 17, 3rd panel, the dad says しっかりしてんなぁー思うって . The most sensible meaning for してん that I’ve seen in the dictionary is “point of view”, so at a guess, I’d say this means “Please think properly about your point of view.” but this doesn’t seem to make much sense in the context of the conversation

I have a question if I may!
I’m pretty sure I’ve got everything right up to almost the end of page 17.
But then よつばのとーちゃん says … ちゃったんだけど, which has really thrown me.
I don’t know the verb he is using. Can anyone please let me know?

I suppose the key word here is しっかり, which can be translated as steady, level-headed, reliable.

So, しっかりしている, “you’re so level-headed/reliable”.

3 Likes

Sorry, I missed that one! I saw しっかり, reliable or mature, and was also stumped by the rest. But then in the next panel the young girl says (very funny!) しっかりしてください, “please be mature”, and it was only from that that I learnt that しっかり collocates with する.

I don’t have the book with me now and you haven’t quoted the whole expression, but that’s a contraction of て form + しまう construction.

2 Likes

Oh, so してん was actually just from する + て form + んな? I thought してん was some other word I didn’t know. That makes more sense, thanks.

Oh!!! Thank you! I think I"m slowly getting there!
The bubble in full says:
さっきちょっとどこかにきえちゃったんだけど
This is much too difficult for me! But a tad easier in the formal, thanks to your help:
消えてしまいますた
Thank you so much for your help rodrigowaick

Oh! So that’s 消えてしまった,“just disappeared”. Tae Kim has a whole section on しまう, it shows up everywhere, especially in the contracted form.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

On page 22, second panel, the girl thinks わつきた. Anyone have any clues about what this means? I can’t find anything online.

(EDIT: I think this is meant to be わっきた, for some reason the font here shows っas quite large, like the fourth panel on page 21)

Also in the fourth panel, she says あれって, which I can only assume is あれ + って, but what is the purpose of the って?

I think it’s “わっ (ah!), きた (she’s coming!)”

4 Likes

It’s わっ、来た, the girl is shocked Yotuba followed her

2 Likes

Thanks! I keep failing at the small things, although I guess that’s completely normal for someone with very little ‘conversational’ practice

って can sometimes function essentially like は。It’s comes from an abbreviation of という。 I think it’s used especially in questions / cases where there’s some doubt - but don’t quote me on that second part.

Edit: Yotsuba can break off here because the rest of her sentence (which would be 何?or 何ですか) is already understood.

3 Likes

Also, as for あれって, the “tte” ending can be used to clarify something someone just said, so after Yotsuba asks “あれなんだ?”, the girls responds, in clarification of the あれ, → “あれって…” and then goes on to explain what it is ^^

3 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed this chapter! With a few rough spots, it’s been fairly smooth reading as well.

Yotsuba flying into the air after letting go off the swing, along with her suddenly remembering strangers can be bad were the two funniest moments I think.

On page 50, panel one, Yotusba says: よつばのうちもっともっとずっと遠くにあるんだよ. It seems like this means, “My house has always been far away,” but I’m not confident in that. Any help with this sentence?

1 Like

I’m guessing it’s the ずっと that’s throwing you off. It’s often used to mean “a long time”/“forever”, but it can also emphasise a far distance or a big separation between two abstract points.

She’s saying her house is super-duper far away. (Spoiler-tagged 'cause it’s about two weeks 'til the chapter’s supposed to end, so someone might skim this far ahead in the thread)

1 Like

Ah! Thanks. So then thats why she says ちがう just previous. She is saying that’s not her house,
her house is really far away. Here I was thinking it meant her being wrong about Fuuka lol.