に particle as a direct contract particle

I was looking at this website: How to Use the Particle Ni in Japanese , to help me better understand the uses of the に particle when I came across the website stating that the に particle can be used as a direct contract particle.

It states:
" Ni is used when a motion or action is directed at or onto an object or place."

How then does this usage differ from that of the を particle?

I’m not sure what you mean by “direct contract.” It indicates the direction of something.

You’re not confusing that with the “direct object” marking function of を, are you? They both have “direct” in them in some sense, but it’s not related.

3 Likes

I guess I was confused as to why they worded it as “action directed onto an object” because that is the function of the を particle?

No, that’s what an indirect object has happen. With a direct object, the action isn’t directed toward the object, it’s done to the object.

おかあさんに(object action is directed toward) てがみを (object having the action done to it) おくる (action)

The multiple meanings and uses of “direct” are probably making it confusing.

1 Like

The way they worded that is definitely somewhat awkward. It’s just being used to mark a target location where you are either directing an action (such as directing you to write your name to some ‘here’ location) or where you are placing something (hung a coat on the hanger).

Using the sentence from that link:

I hung a coat on the hanger.

In English, just like in the Japanese sentence, the coat is the direct object that has the action done to it (hanging) and thus is marked with を in the japanese sentence, but the hanger is an indirect object that is the target that receives the direct object and thus in the Japanese sentence you would mark it with a に.

3 Likes

Your explanation is very clear. Thank You!

1 Like

Glad I could be of help. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.